Mitre Saw Dust Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

Does anyone have a good set of plans to construct a dust collection hood for a compound mitre saw? My current set-up (big gulp hood connected to my dust collector) is not very effective. There are a couple of manufactured hoods available that are interesting such as the Rousseau 5000 http://www.rousseauco.com/rousseau-5000.html that are receiving good reviews but, at $200 they are perhaps a little more than I would like to spend.

Thanks,

Wade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Perhaps you could attach - or as my grand-daddy would say, "affix" - a FastCap saw stache to the bottom back of your blade guard and a shop vac to your saw's dust/chip discharge, you might find a great reduction in saw dust. This would emulate what you get with a Festool Kapex scms and their Dust Extractor. I get about 90 to 95% pick up of all the saw dust created by the Kapex. If I can find a photo, you can see how it's done

DrD

Guess my first response got lost in the bit bucket, so, I'll try again. Attach a shop dust extractor - Shop Vac, Festool CT, etc - to your scms's dust port - usually on top back of saw, and attach a Fast Cap "saw stache" to the bottom back of the retractable blade housing and you should see a measurable decrease in saw dust. With my system I get at least a 95% removable of all dust from using my scms.

Don

zig613

Thanks everyone... I may give the spray tent a try and see if I can modify it to meet my needs. They are available at the local Lowes.

Wade

I've got one of FastCap's Saw Hood and really like it. I take it with me to job site, whether indoors or out. Easy to set up, lightweight, and the customers like the cleaner work area! In the shop, I still hook up a vac to the saw to get all the dust.

zig613

Thanks Hank,

I looked at the FastCap hood unfortunately, for us Canuks north of the border, the price on Amazon.ca or from the local distributor is just shy of $300. A $100 more than the Rousseau 5000.

Wade

Top Bottom