Miter Cut Blank Laminates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
03-Miter Cut Blank Laminates
last post: 02-Wood Center Bands
c2.jpg
Using a compound miter saw presents easy opportunities to make a row of blanks with interesting laminates.

The Problem (Figure A)
The first time I made a batch of angled segmented pen blanks I decided to stack two pieces of wood and cut a wavy line on the bandsaw. The top of one piece (dark wood) was glued to the bottom of the other piece (light wood). I was fairly happy with the results but quickly realized there was an easier way to get almost the same effect.

Simplified Process (Figure B)
(Not rocket surgery, just how I do it.)
Using a compound miter saw I bevel cut two pieces of lumber and glue them together. It's a lot easier and, frankly, produced a cleaner result.
Both ways create "two-dimensional" change. It just took me a cycle to realize which two dimensions were easier to cut along.​
c1.jpg

c6.jpg

Favorite Designs
I know it's basic, but I love the way these harsh angles convert into sloping curves. It never gets old.
Turning a wood center band from the same wood used elsewhere in the pen is a great way to introduce the principle of repetition into your designs.​
c4.jpg
Arranging light-colored wood to have a "wide" side increases legibility of laser engraved names which might otherwise be difficult to read on darker wood.​
c3.jpg
Summary
Making batches of angled segments, for me, came down to the the gluing surfaces. The ones I made on a band saw always seemed to have a little gaps, which could be filled with veneer and glue. But clean miter cuts always ensure a perfect fit between segments.

Top Bottom