Mission style coffee table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cdcarter

cdcarter

First non-pen I've ever posted here, but this is really more what I do.

See those little accents on the legs? Well, that's what you do when you cut a mortise without referring to the plan and realize you don't have a tenon to put there. So you grab some redheart from your penmaking stock, run it through the router a few times and make it look like a through tenon (albeit one that doesn't have any function). :D

coffeetable_corner-sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

That's called a design element. :D Nice work Carl.
Miters looks crisp and I presume the other joinery is mortise & tenon. That's a bunch of 'em. Looks fine.

cdcarter

Not as many as you think!

Only the rail/leg joints are mortise & tenon. The spindles actually sit in a sort of strip that I inserted in a groove in the end rails. That way I could cut them fingerboard style, then trap the tenoned spindles in them at glue-up time. Otherwise, I'd have been cutting 52 mortises and cussing quite a lot!

Put biscuits in the miters.

LOL - I love mistakes that turn out so well.

I did the same thing once on the legs on the set of three Shaker End Tables. The legs where tapered and I still had the cut off.

Now you know why I learned to do inlays.

cdcarter

Funny thing is, the accents are everybody's favorite part of it. If I did another, I'd probably use them again. Being spacey pays off now and then. :D

Originally posted by alamocdc

Nice design change, Carl. Of course things like that never happen to the rest of us. [}:)][:p]

Top Bottom