Miniature Bird houses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

alxe24

I'm trying my hand at this. I like to have a few made; so far I have 3. The latest one is the one at the bottom (birdless) made with carob, Pau ferro and box elder. I need to work more on the roofs not happy with the shape and I want them a bit larger in diameter in relation to the body, but I'll keep em.
Thanks for looking
Alex

2007118103039_2-bird-houses.jpg

2007118103055_Bird-house-01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ptolemy

These look great. I like the shape of the finial in the bottom picture, I'll have to try that. I like your post much better than the one I do as well.

Is that cardinal the one from CSUSA? I have orders for three ornaments with cardinals and can't find any at my local craft stores.

As a side note, when people say these things sell great at craft shows they aren't kidding. I started offering these at my last show. I had only 5. They sold out in 5 minutes. I made 5 more that night for the next day and sold them out as well plus got orders for 4 more.

alxe24

Originally posted by Ptolemy

Is that cardinal the one from CSUSA? I have orders for three ornaments with cardinals and can't find any at my local craft stores.

As a side note, when people say these things sell great at craft shows they aren't kidding.

Thanks for the nice comments. The bird is the one from CSUSA, and now being nosy. How much did you sell them at the show, I have no idea how much the go for.

Ptolemy

Hi Alex,

Thanks for letting me know where the bird is from, my seach is over. As for selling at a show, my price is $20. I might be able to get more, but at $20 I make a good profit for the wood I've been using and people don't even think twice about the price. I have considered buying some more expensive burl woods and try for a higher priced alternative, but I'm not sure the average customer will appreciate the difference. Anyone else have any thoughts on how a more expensive wood and price might do.

alxe24

Originally posted by Ptolemy

Hi Alex,

Thanks for letting me know where the bird is from, my seach is over. As for selling at a show, my price is $20. I might be able to get more, but at $20 I make a good profit for the wood I've been using and people don't even think twice about the price. I have considered buying some more expensive burl woods and try for a higher priced alternative, but I'm not sure the average customer will appreciate the difference. Anyone else have any thoughts on how a more expensive wood and price might do.

When I get to the point as you are, turn 5 of them in 1 night I might try selling them. At this point each one takes me several hours. I could not think on selling it for $20, for the amount of work and detail I still think you could get more than $20 a piece, specially when you mentioned you sell them faster than you can make them.

kent4Him

Price will depend on your market. My "normal" houses go for $17. My higher priced ones go for $20. But I don't put the detail in the final as you do. I will probably raise my Celtic Ring houses next year to maybe $25.

I try to keep my wood cost for the bottom at $1 or less and then my price varies with the amount of work involved.

alxe24

Originally posted by wudnhed

Those are amazing, such detail. As with any craft, you have to have an eye for it and you certainly do.
Thanks I like to think so but again beauty is on the eye of the beholder, seems like you and I have the same kind of eye

Originally posted by oobak

very nicely done, I really like 'em. Never tried one, suppose I should.

You wont regreat it. One they are done you feel good about them and want to make some more. So far I have 3 I'll try to make some more but to me they are several hours worth of work, so again I could not think about departing from them for $20 to $25

Originally posted by Darley

Alex, what size bird did you use for your bird houses? 2 type on CSUSA catalog

I Think they are about 3/8" tall. I got bot kinds.The only difference I can tell between them is the color, one type are red like the one shown and the other ones are different colors, but to me they are about the same size.
Regards,
Alex

Top Bottom