Mini Gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

A neighbor of mine just got back from a business trip to Israel, specifically Jerusalem. Asked him to bring me back some olive wood if he could. He asked his driver about it, and the driver brought back this:
200661515628_OliveWood.jpg

Dimension across the top is just shy of 12". I'm hoping for some interesting grain being a crotch section. He did raise a few eyebrows in Customs, both in the US and in Israel bringing this hunk of wood back. I've left the paper in the background to help validate its origins, no COA for this however. It does look to have a bit of spalting, here's a close up of the largest end.
200661515104_OliveWood2.jpg

Any suggestions on the best way to cut this down into blanks?

Cheers,
Draken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Draken,

You have a very nice neighbor to be willing to go through that trouvble for you. I think you owe him a pen or two [;)][:D].

That is a very nice piece of wood! I am sure it will even be better inside. As you can see, you may have some problems with cracks on this though. I you are aiming for maximum yield, follow the cracks. If you fight it, you will end up with a lot of blanks with cracks and may end up useless.

Milling olivewood is also not easy. Assuming you are using a bandsaw, it tend to gum up the blade and the wheel. Oiling (the blade) before you start is recommended.

GOOD LUCK and this is a nice gloat [:)]

Draken

Thanks everyone, and yes, the neighbor will be getting a pen. He seems to like the Sierra style the best, so that's what it'll be. He doesn't like pens with caps. Now all I have to do is get up the nerve to cut into this thing. Probably won't have the time for a few weeks or so, need to get caught up on some other things.

Cheers,
Draken

BigRob777

Draken,
Remember, you're welcome to bring it back here to cut, if your saw won't work, but as I think more about it, it whould work. Take your time with it. It was nice meeting you and your family tonight.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom