Military Folk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

blade.white

1960 Diplomat View, Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Hello from the DMZ in South Korea. Been a medic in the military for 18 years. Never been in one place for more than 3 years since I can remember. Kind of hard to setup shop, but it keeps life interesting.
Still pretty new to penturning! Took a class at Fort Campbell in Feb. '08, after returning from Iraq. Been hooked ever since. Visit the site often to read the post, good information for the most part. Just recently joined the site. Love looking at the pics sent in, lots of great ideas. Hope to send in some of my own soon. Only thing I shipped to Korea was my wood lathe, tools, and clothes. Almost got all my supplies to start back up. Trying to offer some pen making classes here around springtime. Give the guys something productive to do. Taught a nurse in Fort Carson, he got his lathe in before I left.
Hope to hear from most of you sooner or later, bounce some ideas off of you guys and girls. Got my Jack Daniels pen blanks today, smell sweet.
By the way how do you do the little signature thing at the bottom.:confused: Not sure but my saying is " The older I get, the more I realize, the less I know."

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Longfellow

Welcome

Welcome from Sunny St. Cloud, Fla. Home of beautiful Florida wood.
Spent 14 months in Kumwah Valley with 40th Inf. Div. 1953-1954.

Attachments

• Marilyn Monroe-Korea.jpg
    Marilyn Monroe-Korea.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 116

Atherton Pens

Welcome from Georgia. Thank you for your service. Viet Nam vet here.
Visit IAP site often, it's well worth the time. You'll learn a lot and be amazed at some of the work, ideas, suggestions, humor, and creativity from the good folks here at IAP.

desertrat

First and formost "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE"
Welocme to the madness from Nevada, lot's of good folk's who will bend over backward to help where needed.

desertrat

wiset1

Welcome to the forum, I just started turning pens myself back in September 2010 for something to do to keep my mind off of Army life here in Germany. Making pens keeps me grounded and it's a way to share your craft with others. Can't wait to see what you post from the JD blanks

renowb

Welcome from Spring, TX or as when I was in the army, I would say Houston, because nobody heard of Spring!:biggrin: Vietnam era and Desert Storm ers vet.
Thanks for your service! Be careful over there in Korea!

Rosewood

Thank You For you service

Welcome from Central California, where we have Two Seasons, Fire Season and Mud Slide. I spent 18 months in Korea 728th MP Co. Went up to the DMZ quite often, returning GI's who thought the Southern Portion of Korea was much better. Have many pictures of "The Bridge of No Return" I'am sure Korea has change a bunch. Thank You again

sseamen

Welcome and thanks for your service!
I was Vietname era starting and finished after dessert storm. I spent a year in Korea waaay back! I was in EOD at the time and spent half my tour at the 8th EOD in Tobongsong. Did you ever see 'Ol 8 ball' on then top of Tobongsongni? Many trips into the DMZ .... and many stories about them. :)

This group is amazing! I described one set of circumstances that might be a problem yesterday and already have received 3 useful tips that will help or solve problems I didn't realize I had.

phillywood

James, welcome and thanks for your service.
I'd like to commend you for taking up this hobby to keep your mind off the military life and help you to enjoy your stay, and most importantly that you mentioned trying to teach other military members to do the same. Your 18 years is a long time in military, and we appreciate all you do to keep peace in the word.
I didn't see anyone mentioning that if you could find Korean local wood or for that matter some exotic wood that we never seen around our land here in US and make some pens or bowls out of them. I am sure from the nature's pic.s of those areas I have seen there must be some trees that wouldn't even survive in our climate and would be interesting to see what the craft articles look like made from them. Good luck.

SGM Retired

Glad to have you on-line, this is a very helpfull place of information. Made many a trip to where you are on the water front property and do not miss it at all. Might catch a hop one day just to see the place again. You you would like some blanks to turn from Alabama drop me a PM with your FPO and will send out ASAP. Take care and thanks for picking up where I left off over there. Gary

Carrick

Welcome to IAP. I'm AD Navy in Norfolk, Va. About two years ago, I took my lathe with me on deployment on my ship. It was pretty interesting trying to get ca glue and stuff shipped to me in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Do you have any trouble getting the stuff you want out there?

Once again...welcome...

ctubbs

James, welcome to the fun and games. Please extend a hearty thank you to yourself and all your brothers and sisters that do so much to protect us here at home and keep peace throughout the world. Be sure and check out the library link in the top right of the page for a treasure trove of info on all things pen.
Charles

blade.white

1960 Diplomat View, Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Thank you for the warm welcome. Some asked about the various wood here. Not much different than the states really. Some oak trees, lots of pine trees, and some evergreens. Funny thing about the pine trees, you'll have two trees growing side by side. One has 3-5 inch cones and the other one has 1-2 inch cones at full grown length. Few rotten stump around camp, probably uproot those in the spring, see if anything good. Again, Thanks.

jskeen

안녕하세요 = An nyoung ha seh yo, and welcome to the crew. Where on "The Z" are you stationed? I spend almost 2 years on the ROK back in the day(88' - 89') Of course being USAF I got to spend most of the time hanging out around town and trying to stay warm, and not humping a pack around out in the boonies. 51'st Tac Figher Wing (Medical Group) Osan AB.
Good luck finding any interesting wood on the peninsula, I think The Japanese cut 99% of the trees down and sent them back home last century. I don't know how selling pens would go out on the economy there, but if you could figure out how to turn good quality custom darts, you might make a killing, they are nuts about the game over there. I played on 2 different leagues at once when I was there.

Anyway, Glad you made it, look forward to seeing some of your work.

wizard

Welcome to the IAP. Looking forward to seeing your work! Thanks so much for your service. Please be careful and come home safe! Regards, Doc

PenPal

Morning here James nearly 3.00 am. G Day to you. Did my National Service in 54 in my 3rd yr of my apprenticeship, married the few months after that, many years in the CMF Citizen Military Forces. Did my training same time permanent guys trained for Korea.
I have a Daewoo Leganza the second one both had the Aussie Holden (GMH) world motor made in Victoria. Love it to bits this one 2.2 litre twin OHC bought in 2001 last of the Model here.

Two years younger than Ken (longfellow)

Welcome.

FRom comments from fellow ex Korea guys comment about Darts made a Dart pen using Slimline kit hollowed out the brass and fitted brass sleeves in took 3 darts to make it if the Darts are a passtime there was a hit here for players. Two picks illustrate before and after. Respect your Service.

The older I get the better I was.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 3 Dart bodies 10-9-2008 6-17-26 PM 292x420.JPG
    3 Dart bodies 10-9-2008 6-17-26 PM 292x420.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

tim self

Welcome James and thanks for your service and sacrifice of being away from the family. Closest I got to Korea was mainland Japan and Okinawa. You're definitely correct about indigenous to that area though. If you'd like a little extra, send me a PM and address and I'd be glad to send you a bit.

Top Bottom