Micromesh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

At one time I simply used water to wet sand with my MicroMesh pads and it seemed like I was replacing them almost every year. Then a few years ago I started adding a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid to the tap water. This is something that I picked up many years ago when I spent some time in auto body shops. The idea is that a little bit of soap lowers the surface tension of the water which helps wet the paper and the material more thoroughly therefore reducing scuffing.

The Scientific Mumbo Jumbo: Surfactants are chemical compounds that reduce surface tension of water which helps wash away oil and grease. Most dish soaps, as well as laundry soaps, hand soap and body washes contain Anionic or negatively charged surfactants. They are widely produced and are made from a range of raw fats and oils like soybean, palm, tallow and coconut.

About two years ago, I took this one step farther by switching to a drop or two of a nonionic surfactant (Cascade Rinse Aid) instead of dish soap (Dawn). I think it reduces the surface tension of the water more than soap and it not only helps wet the paper and the material more thoroughly, it also helps de-wet the surface when the slurry is being removed when wiping the blank with paper towel after each grit. The most conspicuous observation is that blanks start to de-wet when I get about half way through the MicroMesh grits. It is an obvious indication regarding the surface tension of the liquid. In addition, although it is entirely subjective, I think the level of gloss is higher than when I was just using the soap.

More Mumbo Jumbo: Nonionic surfactants contain no charge which makes them less likely to form a "soap scum" in hard water. As for cleaning ability they are much less effective so they are usually marketed as a rinsing or drying aids such as Jet-Dry.

I am still on my second set of MicroMesh pads after making this change. I also periodically use a toothbrush and running water to scrub off any "whitish" CA film left on the pads. They look good as new afterward.

Best Regards,
Dave

PS One final note, the last time I bought MicroMesh, to save money I bought the 3" x 4" inch pads and cut them into four pieces. Of course they are a little smaller than the 2" x 2" pads, but they work fine for me and I got 4 sets for just a little more than the price of one. Although it never caused a problem for me I carefully run a flame along the cut edges of the pads. The heat causes the foam to shrink up a little so it doesn't rub against the finish (only the grit touches the finish). I picked this process up from someone else on the forum that was having problems with the foam rubbing on the finish.

Todd in PA

This question was duscussed very recently. You might find more answers there.

I was amazed at how long users report getting a set to last. Mine, maybe 3 months. I adopted Dave's suggestion of a bit of cascade in the water. Maybe that'll help. I try to keep the pad moving and not wearing out one spot.

I also buy the larger pads on Amazon and cut them into quarters.

jttheclockman

I replace when they need to be. Those small square pads have alot of surface to them on both sides so they last a long time. The answer will depend on how many pens are you making and how often so can not give any definite answers. I do not use soap. I use plain water and just keep pad moving. You really do not have to push so hard on them. just let the grit do its thing.

Drewby108

I've had mine for a couple years (it was a box with two sets of large sheets) and use the dish soap with pretty warm water. I clean them with an old toothbrush as needed. I don't use them nearly as much as others, though.

Rob H

Thanks everyone for all the tips I cleaned them then added a drop of dish soap. Afterwards the first time I used them the shine seemed to come in at an earlier grit than before but it could be the blank or my imagination, either way i am pleased.

egnald

Thanks everyone for all the tips I cleaned them then added a drop of dish soap. Afterwards the first time I used them the shine seemed to come in at an earlier grit than before but it could be the blank or my imagination, either way i am pleased.
I usually detect the noticeable shine after grit number six and definitely after grit number seven. - Dave

Top Bottom