Micro tips,make your own

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

For those that use CA glue,especially the thin if you haven't found out about the micro tips they are great!
Ryan at woodturningz threw some in one of my orders when he sent a shipment.
They are a small tube with a tapered end that slip over the end of the spout on the glue bottle.They're great for applying small drops rather than a stream when finishing.
They are exorbitantly priced when you can make you own for a few cents.
I ran across this in a model building forum.
Get some of the small hard tubing like used in aquarium set-ups.1/8th dia.
Light a candle and hold about a 6" piece over the flame till it starts to soften.Revolve it as you do so.
When you"feel it start to "stretch" raise it away from the flame and pull the ends ever so slightly.The center section will taper from both ends.
I blow into one end to cool it and keep it clear.
Cut it in half and you got 2 micro tips.
You may decide to keep buying them but when you run out and they're hard to find you can always get the tubing at the Borg.
(moderator you can put this in the tips section if you choose)

Ahh Ha! Now I know what those little mouse tails are that came in my bulk buy package.

I bought some "rubberized" CA in the bulk buy. It is very dark or almost black looking. Anyone ever use it? Will it be sutiable for blanks that are known to crack like ebony? I just guessed that it would be a little more forgiving than normal CA. Does it set up way fast or do you have a little time to get the brass tube in place before it grabs?

G

I've never used it for tubes but I have tried to fill dark cracks with it.
The sample I got was very thin.
It says it's "flexible" and I don't think it's as hard.
You might want to try a thick on ebony.
It has a tendency to "grab" the tube and in some instances I have not gotten the tube all the way in.
I was told it has something to do with the P.H. of the wood.
IIRC African black wood was the same way.

wayneis

I have not tried it with pen tubes as I've heard that it does not have the holding power. It is recommended for the Medalleon key rings, book page markers and things like that. I made a compact mirror for my wife and it was recommended to use the flexable CA. FWIW

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom