Metal Leaf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scott grove

Scott grove

Easy inlay details-284.jpg
Easy inlay details-284.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott grove

Example of three metal leaf (copper, silver, gold - from Easy Inlay sample kit) mixed together cast in liquid diamond with no pressure pot. The trick was to mush (technical term) the leaf together into the resin to squeeze out air bubbles before pouring into the mold. Next go I will turn it thinner to see how far I can go.

TDahl

That turned out really nice Scott. I have been experimenting with different inlay materials lately and I know it is not an easy task to make sure the pieces are evenly placed throughout the blank. Very time consuming which requires a lot of patience. Well done.

Scott grove

typically yes, in case I cast the mixture all at one, and with the tube in the mold which might have helped. not sure. more testing to be done

Kenny Durrant

Nice work. You said you mushed the foil in the mold. I'll assume by doing that some of the leaves are mushed as well. Something to think about while experimenting is to paint the tube and glue the leaves straight to the tube. This might be hard to explain but when I do shredded money I glue the paper pieces to the tube then take parchment paper and wrap it around the tube. Then as you keep rolling it it will get tighter and tighter. I use this as a clamping method as well. I'll tape the parchment paper around the tube and let set overnight or so. This will also help with bubbles and make sure you don't have any strips sticking out. When dry do a clear tube in cast. The blank will be easier to finish since the resin will be smooth on the surface.

JohnU

It turned out nice. You'll probably be ok with no air bubbles using liquid diamond epoxy resin since it's so much thinner than the other resins.

Scott grove

Nice work. You said you mushed the foil in the mold. I'll assume by doing that some of the leaves are mushed as well. Something to think about while experimenting is to paint the tube and glue the leaves straight to the tube. This might be hard to explain but when I do shredded money I glue the paper pieces to the tube then take parchment paper and wrap it around the tube. Then as you keep rolling it it will get tighter and tighter. I use this as a clamping method as well. I'll tape the parchment paper around the tube and let set overnight or so. This will also help with bubbles and make sure you don't have any strips sticking out. When dry do a clear tube in cast. The blank will be easier to finish since the resin will be smooth on the surface.
great idea, I'll give that a try next go

Top Bottom