Metal lathe in my area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

LMS is having a sale on what appears to be the new version of that lathe for $850 at the moment. With what little information/pictures the seller supplied, along with their apparent lack of grammatical proficiency, I would personally steer clear and pay $100 more for the new one. Caveat emptor.

magpens

If you can get that lathe for $500 - $550, it might be ok .... depends on what comes with it .... it seems to be a rather old model and it definitely does not have a cam-lock tailstock which is highly advisable and makes your life quite a bit easier. . I do not see a headstock chuck in the picture .... very important. . The stuff that I see in the cardboard box does not look all that interesting or useful. . There is a set of toolbits (red things) but they are just a cheap set and will not serve you terribly well ... those ones often break under quite light use on metals ... they would be ok for wood/acrylic ... and certainly not the best toolbits for pen making.

But you have to check on what headstock chuck comes with it. . I don't even see a chuck. . Maybe there is none, but you need it.
That large faceplate is virtually useless for pen work .... you need a 3- or, preferably, 4-jaw scroll chuck (all jaws move together) ... also pref. 4" diam

Seriously consider John's advice to go with the new LMS lathe for $850. . Check out .... www.littlemachineshop.com ....
That lathe will come with a 3" 3-jaw scroll chuck ( and no large faceplate ) and it does have a cam-lock tailstock for sure.
I'd advise upgrading to a 4" chuck in order to have more room to insert up to 0.85" diam blanks into it.

Last edited:

Penultimate

It seems a little pricey for a very used mini lathe. You can get a new 7x14 from Little Machine Shop for less (not including shipping). Prices increased due to the tariffs so that would be really expensive before tariffs. Not sure what tooling is available, I didn't see a chuck or a live center.
Good luck

Top Bottom