Message Draft Save Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
You may have noticed that the system saves drafts of the posts or conversations you're working on. This is so you don't lose work due to distraction or accidental window closure. I can't tell you how many times on the old forum that I typed a long response, got distracted, then accidentally closed a tab and lost my work. I like this feature. However, it can be annoying when I draft I didn't want to send keeps showing up. Right now the draft retention time is set to 24 hours. I can make that anything that seems more reasonable. I'd be happy with an hour or two. Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Jeff, I like that! On another forum, we have had that for a while and I enjoy it, and I'm glad that it is here with the new forum software.

I do have one question though: Is there a "delete" button available? The only way I have found to delete so far is to highlight the whole message and delete that way.

Curly

I have a duh question. Well three duhs actually. How frequently is the draft saved? Or do we do it manually? Lastly if we need to recover a draft how do we do it?

Oh! I just saw the floppy icon along the top. We manually save. So if we open a new reply is the saved draft going to be there?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have a duh question. Well three duhs actually. How frequently is the draft saved? Or do we do it manually? Lastly if we need to recover a draft how do we do it?

Oh! I just saw the floppy icon along the top. We manually save. So if we open a new reply is the saved draft going to be there?
It saves automatically every 60 seconds, or you can force it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jeff but how do I find the saved material if I need to start a thread/post again?
It appears in the place you were typing it. Response to a thread, for example. If you start a reply to thread A and it gets saved (you force it, or you hit the 60-second time), then you go off and reply to thread B, then come back to thread A, your previously typed reply will be in the post reply box. They aren't stored anywhere that you can selectively recall -- only where you were typing them.

EDIT: If you do not go back to continue composing your reply within 24 hours, (or a couple, as I'm proposing), it gets deleted.

CREID

Whatever you decide to do is OK with me. Outlook saves drafts all the time and I wish they would automatically delete after a couple hours.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Jeff, I like that! On another forum, we have had that for a while and I enjoy it, and I'm glad that it is here with the new forum software.

I do have one question though: Is there a "delete" button available? The only way I have found to delete so far is to highlight the whole message and delete that way.

In the menu bar at the top of the window you are typing in, there is a floppy disc icon with a drop-down menu. The choices are Save Draft and Delete Draft.

Jeff,
If we can delete our own drafts is it really necessary to set them to "Self Destruct" within a certain time?

Curly

Living outside the edge of the city is like being in the boondocks especially when a lightning storm knocks out the power or the internet. For some reason it happens when I'm almost done with a long post. So 24 hours would benefit me.

Hank Earlier Jeff said it saves every 60 seconds so having it auto delete after a period of time is the reason for the "Self Destruct". Most of us would never think to "Scorch the Earth" as we leave a post. ;)

Top Bottom