Meeting March 15 - Central Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Sorry about needing to reschedule. I'm feeling much better and looking forward to everyone gathering.

Here's info posted in the previous thread.

Date
March 15th

Where
My shop in Belton (just off I-35 near the I-35/190 split to Killeen)

Time
Let's plan on starting about 9:15-9:30 and go until maybe 4:00-ish.

If everyone agrees, we'll plan on providing the food and drinks....you bring $ 5.00 for the cost.

Tentative list of subjects.....

Finishing Techniques - Discuss CA finishes, wax finishes, WTF, others

Back to the Basics - Discussion on blank prep, drilling, gluing, need for rounding corners, etc. We can have a tool demo as I have several drilling methods we can demo and maybe let folks try out, i.e. Huffman vise, Pen Pro jaws, etc. Maybe include milling/sanding the tube ends.

Didn't get to it last time, but maybe get the Speed Turning competition

I'm thinking about having an open shop time where we have a session called "Bring your questions". The idea would be to open the shop to allow you to present a question and we look for a way to solve it. We cannot go into great detail about a subject like "How do I cast this?" Or "How do I cast a snake skin blank?". But we can show common skills that you may be struggling with.

We'll also have a demo on how to turn acrylics as some new folks sometimes struggle with this.

I plan on providing blanks and materials for segmenting. We can demo a simple segmenting technique and then everyone use the saws to create your own for take-home.

Bring you pens for Show and Tell

Bring you swap goodies or things you just want to sell

Bring a blank for a blank Swap.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whitehat1994

March 15

I'm planning on attending. I have a granddaughter with a birthday that day and not sure what my schedule will look like.

beck3906

Down to about a week left. Let me know if you can come.

We may change plans for food. My wife will be out if town so we'll need to drive to a local barbecue place and grab something go eat.

beck3906

In cleaning and organizing the shop, I find I have dozens of blanks I don't need and won't use. I'll offer these to those attending if anyone wants them.

Most are really plain but will make good practice blanks,

beck3906

Our weekend together is getting closer and my shop cleaning is somewhat done. Expect a layer of dust over things if we don't get a good southerly wind one evening this week. :)

Bring your favorite eye protection or face shield as I plan on having hands-on time during the day. We'll work on segmenting simple blanks and how to take them to another level. We'll work on various finishing techniques. We'll do hands-on with acrylics if you want. We can do TBC turning and wet sanding acrylics

Bring your tools if you like. I can have three lathes going. You can try out any of my tools or whatever to give your own review of what you read about here.

You bring your thoughts....we'll try to accommodate. I won't do any casting or stabilizing this meeting as we covered those subjects last time.

Be sure to bring enough funds to go to a local barbecue place for lunch. My wife will be returning from Houston Saturday morning so we won't have a cook at the house.

Looking forward to you coming.

Last edited:

ironman123

Barbeque sounds good to me. I just went back to your Post #46 on 06/09/2013 and got the directions and map to your ponderosa.

My wife, a daughter, a grand daughter and great grand daughter are going to Georgetown that day to show my daughter's wreathes (Back Porch Wreathes).

Ray

Last edited:

Dean L.

I am trying to make it work to come up. But I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and my darling bride wants it done. I might have to find a reason it will have to wait until next weekend.

Dean

vanngo5d

Rick, hope to see at the next one. We have the beach house in Surf Side for 4 days this weekend. Or I would be there.

HeartofaPen

Rick,

Doesn't look like I will make it this time. Work has been keeping me very busy.

Hopefully be able to make the next one.

Chris

Joe Collins

I'm bringing some spalted mesquite blanks and some very heavy white oak from a 400 year old tree that was struck by lighting in California. It's been drying for about 10 years. Hard as a rock.

beck3906

To all that cannot make it this time....
I'm looking forward to another time where you can maybe come. I wouldn't mind if we could do something mid-September. Maybe try to get us onto a twice yearly schedule.

To those coming...
Bring your blank for the exchange and bring pens to show. Bring your questions and eye protection for hands-on time.

Bring a few dollars to go out for barbecue.

Looking forward to Saturday. :)

beck3906

To all that cannot make it this time....
I'm looking forward to another time where you can maybe come. I wouldn't mind if we could do something mid-September. Maybe try to get us onto a twice yearly schedule.

To those coming...
Bring your blank for the exchange and bring pens to show. Bring your questions and eye protection for hands-on time.

Bring a few dollars to go out for barbecue.

Looking forward to Saturday. :)

flyitfast

Rick, sorry I won't be able to make the trip up from San Antonio.
We had a family thing come up tonite that will keep us busy this weekend.
Was really looking forward to meeting you folks and all the pen turning stuff.
Some day..............
Thanks for your willingness to open up your shop.
gordon

Top Bottom