Mechanic Pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

Has anyone done this pen?

For the life of me, I cannot get this fully assembled.
In the photo are all the parts.

Attachments

• Mech pen.png
    Mech pen.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 134
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

https://store.thewoodenquill.com/product/the-mechanic-ballpoint-click-pen-kits/

It looks pretty self explanitory to me.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mechanic+Pen+Kit+instructions&&view=detail&mid=D1C28832B473B5FFC121D1C28832B473B5FFC121&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=Mechanic+Pen+Kit+instructions&FORM=HDRSC3

Depending how that plunger black piece gets installed weather from the bottom or the top will determine how rest goes together. Does it have threads in it or is it a snap in fit.?2 white piece go together. The large spring slides over the bottom white piece Now if that goes in through the bottom of the clip piece or the top is how it should assemble. The thin spring is for the refill and the nib.

I wonder whose kit is that?/ Is there a name on the package. May be able to hunt down instructions better.

Last edited:

Brian G

The 2 plastic parts and that short spring
Going by the parts you show, press in the nib assembly first. Then press in the clip assembly. Unscrew the nib from the nib coupler. Drop in the two plastic pieces, in the order they are displayed and pointy ends first, from the nib coupler end.

Drop the inkfill in and use it to put light pressure on the plastic pieces. Drop the squatty spring over the plastic pieces from the click end. Then the click button screws onto the plastic piece.

Sometimes you have to operate the click mechanism while you are applying the light pressure in order for the click button threads to reach the threads of the plastic click mechanism.

jttheclockman

I must be on an ignore list. It's a PSI Stratus. Follow the PSI Stratus instructions.
Lets take a step back here my friend. Being I am the only other person who responded, You are not on my ignore list. I saw your response and no it is not a stratus kit. It looks like one but there are many other clones. If you look at the last link I provided you will see another version that actually shows the 2 white plastic pieces in question. In your example they are not there. Just saying. I could not find the exact instructions on the vendor site I linked. But he can email them if he so chooses if they still even make that kit. Looks like he is still selling the kits so should have instructions.

https://store.thewoodenquill.com/product/the-mechanic-ballpoint-click-pen-kits/

Last edited:

Brian G

Okay, It's not a Stratus. My answer about assembly stands. PSI's defunct Power Pen has the same mechanism, and I recently finished assembling a few over the weekend.

jttheclockman

Okay, It's not a Stratus. My answer about assembly stands. PSI's defunct Power Pen has the same mechanism, and I recently finished assembling a few over the weekend.
So when a person goes to change out the refill he unscrews the nib and all those pieces fall out or can if they do not keep pen upside down?? My point is why not assemble all that before you press the clip end onto tube. Feed all that through that plastic section on the clip . Maybe even glue something together so that mechanism does not fall out. Not having done a kit like this I maybe way off base but from what I am looking at that would be the way to go.

I see now the errors in my way. There would be no way to push the clip end on the tube if you assembled first. So disregard. That looks like a crummy setup. The instructions I linked to seem to fit

Last edited:

Brian G

jt, I think we're both being fooled. The description on the vendor's web page has the same wording, minus the name, as what is written in PSI's catalog for the Stratus. The web page even states it has the same mechanism as the Vertex, just like the text in the PSI catalog.

I reclaim my position it's a Stratus. I think the photograph is in error, and the two plastic pieces and the squatty spring do not belong with the components. None of the dozen Stratus sets I have include the two plastic pieces and squatty spring. The click mechanism is inside the click assembly.

Michael, try following the instructions I linked and see what happens.

jt, as an aside, for the defunct PSI Power Pen, the stub of the center band held the click mechanism in place. That was a problem, because the stub was too long and didn't allow the finial to seat fully. Fixable by sanding off about 1/32 of the stub, but probably why it was discontinued. I apologize for my snarky retort.

jttheclockman

Brian you maybe correct all the way around. I tried to find info for him and the link to the vendor that is still selling that kit shows all the pieces he has including the 2 white plastic ones. In the link for instructions to the one that looks like his but is a different name has again all the same pieces and it explains the way they go together. I am not sure you are reading my links but I still do not think it is a Stratus. But you maybe right and they just do not show it because in your explanation you explain assembly exactly like is shown in my link of the Rizheng kit. So I am done I can not help any more and know for sure I will never be buying a kit like that anyway. Good luck to the OP. Hope he gets something out of this.

Madman1978

Okay, gents, I thank you all for your input. I have finally got the pen together. I will post pics later. Since I am still somewhat of a newbie, I have not done many click pens. Honestly, I do not like them. However, this style might fit right in with my customers.

Again thank you!

jttheclockman

Okay, gents, I thank you all for your input. I have finally got the pen together. I will post pics later. Since I am still somewhat of a newbie, I have not done many click pens. Honestly, I do not like them. However, this style might fit right in with my customers.

Again thank you!
I believe there are better options. Look at some recent threads here dealing with click pens. That mechanism is not top shelf and prone to break. just saying.

jttheclockman

YOu could be right but, I am finding here pens over a certain amount do not sell!
Not so much the sales but the ease of use. It looks like there is too much that can go wrong with that type pen and you do not want to sully your rep over bad materials. hey it is your call but any pens with the schmidt mechanism will be better and am sure run in the same price range.

Madman1978

It did finish quite nicely

I used Tasmaine Blackwood for the body

Attachments

• 20230224_103745.jpg
    20230224_103745.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230224_103752.jpg
    20230224_103752.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 52

fairmgr

Called PSI after a frustrating morning trying to get a Power Pen assembled. I find that the kit is out, and you need to be very careful with the length of the upper tube. It should be 1 7/8s inch. or maybe less by a hair. The click assembly would slide back up the tube after assembly and would not write. If that happens cut the upper tube down slightly and all should be well.

Top Bottom