Mean trick by DocStram! (ID this wood)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Ok, so I'm cutting some wood and I smell this.... this.... chicken poop smell. It's freakin awful! I dont know if it's the type of wood or if this wood was once part of a barn in a dung farm or what, but hole-e-cow is it rank! Drilling the holes I thought I was going to puke in my mouth a little, but I held back.

Anyone know what the %#$@@ this stuff is?

mystery.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

I think I'm missing something- where does DocStram fit in? (oh, and I have no idea what the wood it, but thanks for sharing so detailed as to how it made you feel[xx(][xx(]- made me feel sick![V])

Skye

I got it from him at the Atlanta Bubbasville meet. Box of free wood, never turn down free wood! But seriously, the stuff is rank!

JimGo

Care to amend your "never turn down free wood" comment? I mean, first off, I ALWAYS turn down free wood (I'm a wood turner), and second, I think you'd turn down any more of this stuff! [:}]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Care to amend your <b>"never turn down free wood"</b> comment? I mean, first off, <b>I ALWAYS turn down free wood </b>(I'm a wood turner), and second, I think you'd turn down any more of this stuff! [:}]
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best thing is he never saw it coming![:D]

angboy

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Care to amend your <b>"never turn down free wood"</b> comment? I mean, first off, <b>I ALWAYS turn down free wood </b>(I'm a wood turner), and second, I think you'd turn down any more of this stuff! [:}]
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best thing is he never saw it coming![:D]

Oh I'm feeling like a bad woodturner- I had to really think about this one! [:(][:(]

rpasto92

It doesn't look like DI (desert Ironwood) but your description of the smell kind of does. Is it very dense? If you're not sure just bite on it and see if your teeth make marks (boy I wish I could be there to see if you would actually try that). Sorry I can't help, enjoy...

Skye

It's <b>very</b> dense, and it tastes terrible. [;)]

Here's what I made from some more of the free wood (minus the band). It didn’t smell of dead fish anuses, which made it even better.

band2.jpg

Plan on making some more from the freebies, hopefully this weekend. If it's free, it's for me. [^]

vick

You have me stumped and I usually am pretty decent at guessing woods. With as red as it is finished I would guess, Padauk, red Heart or blood wood. Based on how brown it is on the picture of the unturned blank I would say padauk but it does not have the open pores I usually see in Paduak and while Paduak has an odor it is not unpleasent.

Question did the dust from your lathe stain your shirt almost like their was a dye in the wood (padauk is known as a dye wood with a natuarlly occuring dye in the wood)?

DocStram

Ohhhh Nooooo! Can it be true that my good name is being besmirched in IAP? By Skye of all people??? (Whose wife I think of so highly!)

Skye .... don't look a gifthorse in the mouth! Even if it's a wooden gifthorse.

I have about a hundred hilarous things I could say about that wood smelling. But, I'll be serious. I'm so surprised that one of those blanks is stinking up the place. I had no idea. And, I don't have a clue what it is. Is there more of it? Are those smelling?

OK, one joke ... just do an awful job of turning it. Then you can honestly tell people "this pen stinks".

Skye

Hardeharrharr [:D]

Yeah, the two I cut today both stink. I'll keep one intact so we can get grossed out over it at the next BBville.

The one in the pic is a different kind of wood than the blank, they were both in the same box is all. Sorry for the confusion [B)]

Still happy to have the wood, Doc [:)]

chigdon

African Stinkwood (not kidding) --- link below -- smells awefull

http://www.rarewoodsandveneers.com/images/productimages/rarewood/Ocotea%20bullata,%20Stinkwood,%20Africa.jpg

DocStram

Geeeezeeee Skye ... I sure hope you don't get my name in the PITH drawing. I have a feeling I know what wood you'll use.

Remember me saying where that box of blanks came from?

Skye

Dang Chris, how did you run across that?

Yeah, I wonder how his attic smelled? lol

Hey, I made a pen with one of the spalted blanks from the box. Not too shabby looking. I'll get a pic up Monday when I get to work. I dont like the shape I ended up with, but the wife does, go figure. None the less, still enjoying thebox. (aside from the poowood.)

If you guys get to the December meet (if it happens) I'll bring them with me so we can all enjoy the aroma [^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom