Mazzucchelli Green - Poseidon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

Hi All

I recently got hold of some of the blue/green (Poseidon) Mazzucchelli Ceboplast and made quite a few pens from it. This material is becoming increasingly scarce so its nice to have some again.

Some of you will be familiar with it, but for those who aren't it has a couple of properties that are a little different compared to, say, acrylics. First of all the blank isn't square or round but comes in an oval with "fins" that run the entire length of it. They are also slightly irregular, so getting the widest round blank from it is the first task.

This material also heats up very quickly when being worked, meaning you need to go a little slower or it can crack or melt onto the tool. The fact that it's scarce means it's also very expensive. So it does heighten the whole experience a little, but I have been fortunate so far and none of it has ended up in the bin. Yet.

That said, once you do make a pen, there are few other synthetic materials that come close in my opinion. It's a type of cellulose acetate so it has that same warm, soft feel, but there's a colour depth that the Mazzucchelli company managed to achieve that really is exceptional.

Anyway some pictures below, including the funny shaped blank I mentioned.

This pen has black acrylic finials and sterling silver accents. Fitted with a Jowo no 6 nib. I use 13mm triple lead cap threads and there is a small <1mm step between the threads and the barrel. Overall length when closed is 140mm.

Cheers
Ash
IMG_9934.jpegIMG_9939.jpegIMG_9951.jpegIMG_9949.jpegIMG_9946.jpegIMG_9929.jpegIMG_9930.jpegIMG_9985.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

That is beautiful stuff! And beautiful work! Was the material originally intended for pens? I wonder if the fins are just where the blanks were joined in a mold and then cut to separate them?

duncsuss

Beautiful work, Ash.

And I agree with all your observations about the material: it's finicky, sensitive, and expensive - but worth every penny and all the extra care it demands. I haven't had any of this blue/green to work with - some bright green, cranberry red, cobalt blue, fiesta/carnival mix, and quite a few pieces of "cracked ice" ... and now there's another one that I have to be on the lookout for!

Valleyboy

That is beautiful stuff! And beautiful work! Was the material originally intended for pens? I wonder if the fins are just where the blanks were joined in a mold and then cut to separate them?
Thank you and yes I believe that's the exact reason these fins are there. It would certainly make sense.

Valleyboy

Beautiful work, Ash.

And I agree with all your observations about the material: it's finicky, sensitive, and expensive - but worth every penny and all the extra care it demands. I haven't had any of this blue/green to work with - some bright green, cranberry red, cobalt blue, fiesta/carnival mix, and quite a few pieces of "cracked ice" ... and now there's another one that I have to be on the lookout for!
Thank you Duncan.

Yes there are a few varieties around and I've used a few but I'd love to get some bright green. I *think* I've had the cracked ice but not sure if I'm referring to the same thing as it just had a number when I bought it.
But yes, love this stuff and worth the effort as you say. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

stuckinohio

Ash, after lookin through several of your posts in the SOYP forum, I'm in awe! All are stunning! Excellent craftsmanship, aesthetics and design. I love them all.

Top Bottom