Maybe some Hope

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarman

I came across the following in our local paper. I did not know there was such a contest.

Laurie Sisk/The Morning Sun
Cassandra Ngo, a St. Mary's Elementary School third grade student, was named the 2006 Kansas State Handwriting Champion in the National Handwriting Contest.
A lost art

St. Mary's third grader keeps skill of handwriting alive

By NIKKI PATRICK
Morning Sun Lifestyle Editor
In these days of keyboarding and text messaging, handwriting is almost a lost art.

Almost, but not quite.

Cassandra Ngo, St. Mary's Elementary School third grade student, recently won honors for her beautiful penmanship. She was named the 2006 Kansas State Handwriting Champion in the National Handwriting Contest sponsored by Zaner-Bloser Educational Publishers.

Ngo is the daughter of Victoria and Joseph Ngo. Her classroom teacher is Nancy Hicks, but it was Kristen O'Brien who entered her in the contest.

"The school had received information on the contest before, but never did anything with it," O'Brien said. "But, when I came across a sample of Cassandra's handwriting, it was so beautiful that I decided we had to enter her in the contest."

Ngo said that she enjoys writing letters to friends, and always uses her best cursive writing.

"I think legible handwriting is important because it helps you get good grades," she wrote on her entry form. "You can read it better, and it makes your parents happy."

The youngster received an engraved plaque and an engraved wood pen. In addition, her school will receive $50 worth of free products from Zaner-Bloser, which is a leading publisher of handwriting programs for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. The company also publishes spelling, reading and language arts texts and teaching materials.

Ngo will compete against state winners from across the country for the title of national champion, selected for each grade level in grades one through eight. A grand national champion will be selected from all the national champions.

Each national champion will receive a computer, a $500 savings bond, award certificate and T-shirts for their classmates, teachers and family. Each winner's school will receive a $100 gift certificate for Zaner-Bloser learning materials.

The grand national champion will receive prizes valued at more than $1,500, and his or her classroom will receive a computer with Zaner-Bloser Handwriting software.

fuzzydog

Great article, congrats to Cassandra, but I read something that just didn't seem to fit. A company that produces "handwriting programs" is giving a computer as the top prize. Typewriters and computers have done more to destroy handwriting, why make it the prize.
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom