Maybe a dumb question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

encoreguy260

What is the correct height for the lathe center? My workbench is 36 inches high. I am concerned that if I put the lathe on my workbench it will be too high and possibly dangerous.

Harbor Freight has a hard wood bench that is 33 inches high. Does three inches make a difference? Please let me know your thoughts.

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Jeff. An excellent question actually. Just my thoughts... It depends šŸ¤£ !

I believe I have read that the bed should be at approximately your elbow level. But I will also say that it should be at a "comfortable" level. If that means a bit lower/higher, than so be it. Also, for folks that have back, neck, leg issues, or sit on a chair/stool - then a different height is appropriate.

So no clear answer. But, if all is well, then possibly the elbow recommendation makes sense.

Kenny Durrant

I think it depends on how y'all you are and what you feel comfortable with. I have a couple of friends and the three of us are close to the same height but our eyesight is different and the way we hold our tools isn't the same. I'd set it up for what you like.

encoreguy260

G'Day Jeff. An excellent question actually. Just my thoughts... It depends šŸ¤£ !

I believe I have read that the bed should be at approximately your elbow level. But I will also say that it should be at a "comfortable" level. If that means a bit lower/higher, than so be it. Also, for folks that have back, neck, leg issues, or sit on a chair/stool - then a different height is appropriate.

So no clear answer. But, if all is well, then possibly the elbow recommendation makes sense.
Thanks...appreciate you thoughts

encoreguy260

Thanks...appreciate you thoughts

jjjaworski

I was told at a Craft Supply woodturning class that the lathe centers should be at elbow height. I adjusted my wood lathe using this philosophy years ago and find it works for me.

Here is an old IAP thread on the subject as well.

I just googled the topic and found several other posts about it.

Hope this is of some help.

qquake

My workbench/table was given to me years ago by my b-in-law. It's a massive thing, made from very heavy steel rectangular tubing. It's about 33-1/2" from the floor to the top. My old lathe was a big Harbor Freight 12" x 33". I would guess it was about 12" to the center line. I got a Jet 1221VS lathe several years ago. It sits higher at 15" to the center line. It took some getting used to, but now it's completely comfortable to me. So in my case, at least, it was a matter of adapting my turning style to the lathe.

ramaroodle

I was told at a Craft Supply woodturning class that the lathe centers should be at elbow height. I adjusted my wood lathe using this philosophy years ago and find it works for me.

+1 for elbow height. I found an old nightstand and lowered mine down to that level and it has worked great for me too. I'm sure some of my improved technique has come from doing more turning (pens) but it means that I don't have to hold the end of the tool almost in my armpit to rest it against my body and hold it level. I have better control of the tools it seems to me, and just feels more natural.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Elbow height - IF not, one could develop back problems, or inflame current ones. Practice and see what feels the most comfortable to your back and gives you precise control on the turnings.

Different heights for different people.

MTViper

Jeff, Are you a member of one of the turning clubs in the DFW area? I think there are 4-5 clubs. I belong to the one in Ft Worth. If you're not, I highly recommend joining one. Once you do, there will be a bunch of folks who would be glad to come over, look at your lathe and how you turn, and help you set it up at a height that's best for you. You'll learn a lot from the folks there too. If you don't have contact info for the clubs, send me a PM and I'll track it down for you.
Steve

JimB

having the center line at elbow height is a good place to start. Try turning with it at that height and then adjust it. When I got my Powermatic I started with it 'as is' for a week. Then I placed a a 2x4 under it for another week. Then another 2x4. That turned out to be the right height for me. The spindle center line is 47" from the floor and at about my elbow. I'm 6'1".

if the lathe is too low your back will hurt. If the lathe is too high your arms will be uncomfortable and get tired. Also what you turn will make a difference. I do primarily bowls so if the lathe was any higher the turning wood would be uncomfortably close to my face. If I did more spindle work I would consider raising it another inch or so.

you asked if the 3 inches will make a difference. The answer is yes. When it comes to lathe height is is a huge difference.

Jonkou

Another way of stating the above, To be ergonomically correct adjust the toolrest to the C/L of spindle, take up a turning position and lay your pinky on the toolrest, your elbow should be close to 90 degrees.

Top Bottom