mass produced wooden pens ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I believe there was mention of this in a thread late last year. It may have been the thread where Anthony was offering the Stylus Pen Annual. I also seem to recall that someone did mention Omas was having problems with them cracking, but maybe my memory is incorrect.

Ouch, my head hurts from thinking that far back [:p]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />
Originally posted by ashaw
<br />
Omas is a high end pen manufactor from Italy.

[b
Originally posted by angboy
What happens if your snakewood pen that you paid over $900 for cracks?

Angela,
Italians don't crack, we simply go insane(slowly)[:p]

Did Anthony find a way to speed up the process? [:D][}:)][:D]

its_virgil

That report cam from Lou, the DCBluesman. Maybe he will report to us again what he found out.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />I believe there was mention of this in a thread late last year. It may have been the thread where Anthony was offering the Stylus Pen Annual. I also seem to recall that someone did mention Omas was having problems with them cracking, but maybe my memory is incorrect.

Ouch, my head hurts from thinking that far back [:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
FROM DECEMBER: A couple of months ago (September 2005) I spoke with Greg Hengesbaugh, Sales Director East for Omas. According to Greg, the snakewood pens plague many retailers. He has handled many returns and has a large number of dealers who will not carry any of the snakewood pens. Based on my conversation, I'd say they haven't solved the problem anymore than we have.

PenWorks

Okay William, I will admitt some of my family members are allready eying me up for my new white turning smock, with cute shackles & buckles. [:D] Especially when I buy myself expensive Italian pens, when I can make them myself [:)]

I am sure Omas has their problems as well. But one thing most companies offer is a GOOD repair/warrenty policy. That should go along with buying an expensive pen. I dropped a resin Delta FP and shattered the body and cap, clearly my fault, I sent it back to Delta and they repaired it, no charge. I clearly state when I sell a snakewood pen, it may crack and there are no guarantees, I will offer to repair it for them if it does. PRS guitars put a snakewood fret board on their high dollar guitars and they have checking and repiar problems as well.

Peter

Angela,
Italians don't crack, we simply go insane(slowly)[:p]

Did Anthony find a way to speed up the process? [:D][}:)][:D]
willliam

angboy

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Okay William, I will admitt some of my family members are allready eying me up for my new white turning smock, with cute shackles & buckles. [:D] Especially when I buy myself expensive Italian pens, when I can make them myself [:)]

My work probably has a good supply of those "turning smocks" Anthony. I'd be HAPPY to get one set up for you! [}:)][}:)] And if you want to make your family happy, since they apparently prefer the homemade touch, I can look and see if I still have the demo turning smock like that that I made a long time ago. Now granted, it was just for show and fit nicely on a teddy bear, and I know you're pretty tall... but we could do some modifications! [:D][:D]

pete00

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />After looking at that Omas site, I really have to wonder what sets their apart from much of the great work posted here. Besides the prices, of course.

Actually i was wondering the same thing, this morning.
Design wise there are pens here that are equal if not better.
Workmanship, warranty...dont think so.

The only thing left is marketing and the parts.
Marketing, if they have the same guy that sold the pet rocks, then they beat us.

Parts, dont know, are they made that much better than what's availabe to us.

pete

DocStram

What distinguishes YOUR pen from an Omas? Easy to answer but difficult to attain. The answer involves reputation, mystique and beau monde ... fashion. I took a look at the Omas website and found it interesting that they do not list prices. Want to know the price of an Omas pen? The "global company policy" is that "legitimate Omas dealers have been asked to have customers call for prices." You won't find their prices on the net.
Want to charge $900 for a pen? Find a way to add an aura of exclusivity to your pens. If somebody has to know the price before ordering then they can't afford you.
Maybe add captions like "This pen was designed exlusively for Tom Cruise" (I didn't say he bought it - did I? Maybe I didn't even send it to him. I just designed it with him in mind.)
If you follow these tips and break the $900 mark ... you owe me a 5% commission.

chitswood

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />FROM DECEMBER: A couple of months ago (September 2005) I spoke with Greg Hengesbaugh, Sales Director East for Omas. According to Greg, the snakewood pens plague many retailers. He has handled many returns and has a large number of dealers who will not carry any of the snakewood pens. Based on my conversation, I'd say they haven't solved the problem anymore than we have.

Well lets see how the pens turn out from my snakewood, maybe I hit a cord for selling? the 6/4 stuff got a thin check from sitting in the sun, but the blanks are fine so far.

Our supplier can sell us [:0]exhibition[:0] grade snakewood - literally the rarest wood in the wood, theres no other wood like it available. Only problem is that I believe I heard the price per bd ft was over $600[:0]
lets see, thats about $15 per blank, and thats if were not pulling any profit from it, AND thats the lowered price he's setting if we buy the whole pallet.

You'd be turning a pen for Bill gates[:D]

whatwoodido

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />After looking at that Omas site, I really have to wonder what sets their apart from much of the great work posted here. Besides the prices, of course.

I think what sets their pens apart is that they are precision from start to finish, they are not relying on bushings, and mandrels. I expect they have their tooling milled to their specifications. And their components are probably milled (not cast) and the finish on the components are probably a bit more involved than those on you typical 6 dollar baron kit, or even an emperor kit. Finally, I expect many of the high end commercial pens are very labor intensive and are far more involved that we could even guess.

Anthony, does this sound about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom