Masonic Gavel Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bonsaibill

bonsaibill

Never really made much except for pens and a few small jewelry boxes and puzzles. I have a friend who is being installed as worshipful master of the local Masonic lodge in a couple of weeks. I made a set of gavels for him with a box to keep them in. I made them in the shapes of a masons hammer and maul. They are oak and mora with a little bocote on the lid of the box. I still have some work to do on them and they are a little rough, but I am learning-----I hope.

Attachments

• m1web.JPG
    m1web.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 257
  • m2web.JPG
    m2web.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 419
  • m3web.JPG
    m3web.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 373
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

badger

nice work, I'm sure he'll love it!

Also, you'll probably get some calls from the other lodge members. :) Be sure to put a few extra cards in the present. Just in case.

redfishsc

Very nice work! I LOVE the inlay on the lid (or is it laser?) Either way it's lovely!

You should have built a small camcorder inside to figure out what the heck they do in those temples that nobody else can know about! (I bet they sit around and watch Golden Girls reruns...... OK I am kidding so don't make me mysteriously disappear!)

bonsaibill

The symbols on the top are a sorted tale. I used a stencil and cut them out of 1/4 inch oak and then glued it to the top. I missed up some two part epoxy and black dye and poured it in the recess. In my scrap test piece it turned out like black glass. In the actual lid the epoxy must have reacted to the wood glue or something. It got real hot and bubble up something fierce. When it dried it was all pitted and gross. I sanded it down and realized it looked just like some one had branded the symbol on---pretty cool actually.

redfishsc

Was your scrap test made of oak? Oak has some huge pores in it and I would not be surprised in the least if your problem came from the oak's open pores releasing bubbles into the epoxy as it cured.

Top Bottom