Masculine or feminine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

My wife judges a pen on colour as male or female whereas I think size and weight.
Anyway I usually am found growing fruit and veg. at this time of year, but a bad knee is seriously restricting my ability to kneel, so I spent a bit of time making a couple of blanks instead.
Are any male or female?
IMG_1850.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Very nice blanks. I've had the same conversation with my wife. Usually the darker colors attract the men while the lighter colors attract the women. As mentioned before that just a general statement. There's always someone that wants to be different or wants something different. Personally I like the outdoors type pens while my wife likes the bright color swirls. I do almost all clear casting with embedded objects and my wife loves the blanks at the local wood stirred that are color swirls. There was a time I hated to take her because she'd go shopping and want handfuls of colored blanks. My buddies would laugh and tell me to let her go I could afford the blanks. I said it's not the blanks it's the kits! I said I'd buy the blanks if they bought the kits and that was the end of the discussion. So back to the original question. You can generalize peoples likes and dislikes and be right most of the time but you should keep in mind there are many other opinions as well.

Joebobber

I like that scalloped one. I tried the instruction thread on them but I didn't really understand it and it didn't turn out. As for male or female blanks, I guess yours are unisex for the most part. I think pinks n purples ect are more female with blues reds and blacks more masculine.

PatrickR

I would put them in either the masculine or neutral category. All are very nice. I ran it by my significant other and she associates the size of a pen as important as anything else.
Now I need to make a very small FP.

Painfullyslow

I have made a few pens that were decidedly biased towards one gender or another but I am with the rest, I couldn't put a gender on these, but I am very impressed and envious of your segmenting skills. Truly phenomenal work!

Hey Alan. Really nice blanks but whether they're masculine of feminine is beyond me...I'm color blind and my wife helps me with colors too. Trust her judgement cause if you don't sometimes you might embarrass yourself. I have lots of times. Good luck with your bum knee.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Mate. Alan, this topic and question is worthwhile, but I eventually have a 'non-answer.'

I personally agree with you that size and weight is more important; and this is not gender determined! A worker at my house that is a plumber 5'6" may prefer a gift pen that is smaller/slimmer than a consultant interior decorator that is 5' 9". AND, I did not indicate their gender - it does not matter. Their preference is simply what they feel comfortable with, I could care less.

Today at an Easter Lunch, we had a new visitor, and she got her choice of 5 pens as she was a new friend (I abuse anyone new to our house with several gift pens - my family/friends all have all they can stomach). She picked two very dark, thick, heavy Cigar pens. She said they felt comfortable in her hand with her arthritis.

So, as to your blanks above... Simple artistry! They all are superb. This six are wonderful and I really cannot assign a preference for gender, I believe each will have its fans. Anyone that has a thought to hand-crafted artistry will appreciate each.

Alan, your progress with segmenting is a breath of fresh air! I love your work.

Alan Morrison

I like that scalloped one. I tried the instruction thread on them but I didn't really understand it and it didn't turn out. As for male or female blanks, I guess yours are unisex for the most part. I think pinks n purples ect are more female with blues reds and blacks more masculine.
Joe, just to let you know that the blank that you referred to is not scalloped but has a couple of bits of an acrylic blank cut and joined and then glued into my blank.

Alan Morrison

G'Day Mate. Alan, this topic and question is worthwhile, but I eventually have a 'non-answer.'

I personally agree with you that size and weight is more important; and this is not gender determined! A worker at my house that is a plumber 5'6" may prefer a gift pen that is smaller/slimmer than a consultant interior decorator that is 5' 9". AND, I did not indicate their gender - it does not matter. Their preference is simply what they feel comfortable with, I could care less.

Today at an Easter Lunch, we had a new visitor, and she got her choice of 5 pens as she was a new friend (I abuse anyone new to our house with several gift pens - my family/friends all have all they can stomach). She picked two very dark, thick, heavy Cigar pens. She said they felt comfortable in her hand with her arthritis.

So, as to your blanks above... Simple artistry! They all are superb. This six are wonderful and I really cannot assign a preference for gender, I believe each will have its fans. Anyone that has a thought to hand-crafted artistry will appreciate each.

Alan, your progress with segmenting is a breath of fresh air! I love your work.
Thanks for your response, Mark. I believe that Caroline's criterion is just specific to her as, like you, when folk are offered a choice of pen, then the artistic part of the pen seems to be the determining factor.

Alan

Top Bottom