Mark Mayo Blank (Jr Harold)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Thanks to Mark's generosity.
I have so much more thin CA as compared to medium; I used all thin (mercury flex). I must have applied 10 coats in under 5 minutes (with accelerator); also very little sanding needed and polished beautifully (don't let the poor photography fool you.) I am going to continue this practice - trying to use up all thin CA that I have. Maybe. I will be an all-thin CA convert.
Mark Pen Harold.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

civilwartalk

Thanks to Mark's generosity.
I have so much more thin CA as compared to medium; I used all thin (mercury flex). I must have applied 10 coats in under 5 minutes (with accelerator); also very little sanding needed and polished beautifully (don't let the poor photography fool you.) I am going to continue this practice - trying to use up all thin CA that I have. Maybe. I will be an all-thin CA convert.
View attachment 293884
I'm still pretty new at using CA, but I've had a similar experience, medium CA has given me a lot of problems, ripples, and it seems like it sets faster than I'm ready for it to set. I wonder if my lathe, even though I'm at my slowest speed, it's turning too fast for Medium CA.

With medium, I feel like the paper towel is pulling on the set CA and folding it over itself if that makes sense. The thin doesn't do that, it flows and rolls across the surface. when I wipe. My technique is the same for medium and thin, so it's not like I'm going slowly when I do medium, so, I'm only guessing, but maybe it's too fast of a movement for medium....

If I only use thin CA, I have many fewer problems, I don't usually need to fix anything, and my finished pens look so much better!

I was looking for a thin flex CA, I'll have to try the Mercury version.

TonyL

I'm still pretty new at using CA, but I've had a similar experience, medium CA has given me a lot of problems, ripples, and it seems like it sets faster than I'm ready for it to set. I wonder if my lathe, even though I'm at my slowest speed, it's turning too fast for Medium CA.

With medium, I feel like the paper towel is pulling on the set CA and folding it over itself if that makes sense. The thin doesn't do that, it flows and rolls across the surface. when I wipe. My technique is the same for medium and thin, so it's not like I'm going slowly when I do medium, so, I'm only guessing, but maybe it's too fast of a movement for medium....

If I only use thin CA, I have many fewer problems, I don't usually need to fix anything, and my finished pens look so much better!

I was looking for a thin flex CA, I'll have to try the Mercury version.
I believe many more CA -folks use medium as their primary CA viscosity. With practice, everyone eventually "masters" it. I just happen to have so much more thin left over (I date it, and after a year...I throw it all out). Everyone will have their own approach and so will you!

jttheclockman

I believe many more CA -folks use medium as their primary CA viscosity. With practice, everyone eventually "masters" it. I just happen to have so much more thin left over (I date it, and after a year...I throw it all out). Everyone will have their own approach and so will you!
Funny I am usually that type too. But yesterday I finished a pen blank that I used just thin. Basically because it was an acrylic blank but had some wood parts in it so they needed some sort of protection. Easier to just use the thin.

Top Bottom