Mark James Chevrons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
On a Two Tone Chrome Sierra. I got this blank from Mark at the MPG :tongue: Not only did I score a blank, but got to see the little machine he uses to make these cool looking little blanks. So...the machine (Frankie) is cool....the blanks are cool....all that is needed is, a good pen turner. :rolleyes: Not me :redface:
I left the walnut dust in the Maple pieces :redface: But it's OK....it's MY pen :biggrin:

Thank you Mark!! :wink:

Attachments

• Marks Chevrons 001.jpg
    Marks Chevrons 001.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Marks Chevrons 002.jpg
    Marks Chevrons 002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well done Chuck. I will resist nit picking my blank...grumble, grumble :rolleyes:

Looks very nice - I do admit to being unaware of this kit (plating), and it is appealing; I will have to look for this.

Thanks for posting as every one is a roll of the dice for my alignments. (I love Ken Wines' work as he is able to be so precise. Alas, I have some veneers, stock 1/16", glue, clamps and time).

Frankie says "Don't be a stranger!"

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Another beauty.
Thanks Jim!

Your lucky I don't live next door cause then it would be MY pen.....LOL

Nice pen Chuck.
Yeah, I would have to make two, so we could both have one. Thanks Wayne!

Well done Chuck. I will resist nit picking my blank...grumble, grumble :rolleyes:

Looks very nice - I do admit to being unaware of this kit (plating), and it is appealing; I will have to look for this.

Thanks for posting as every one is a roll of the dice for my alignments. (I love Ken Wines' work as he is able to be so precise. Alas, I have some veneers, stock 1/16", glue, clamps and time).

You get the kits from Beartoothwoods.com (Two Tone Sierra) the plating option comes in reverse if you prefer it that way. Yes, will have to spend more time with Frankie someday. :biggrin:

Last edited:

magpens

Lovely !!!!! . Someday will have to get acquainted with Frankie ... hope there is a descriptive thread somewhere accessible.

jttheclockman

Mark, never ever compare your work to a laser or cnc machine. I learned this long ago when doing scroll work. We make hand made pens and they will have flaws. That is what we do. We try to keep those flaws to a very minimum and that is the mark of a skilled craftsman. Your use of the mini drum sander and tablesaw combines into some very nice work. Job well done all around.

Last edited:

Ken Wines

Mark, there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the blanks that you make. In fact, I'm quite envious of the clean joint lines that you are able to make, something that is simply impossible for me to achieve using my methods. As John T. said never compare your hand made work to that of a laser or cnc. I just load the blanks and they magically appear after I push the button.

Chuck, great job on the pen. I love the hardware you chose, it really complements the blank. Cross contamination of dark dust onto lighter colored wood is the bane of working with these type blanks.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
(I love Ken Wines' work as he is able to be so precise. Alas, I have some veneers, stock 1/16", glue, clamps and time).
Mark, there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the blanks that you make. In fact, I'm quite envious of the clean joint lines that you are able to make, something that is simply impossible for me to achieve using my methods. As John T. said never compare your hand made work to that of a laser or cnc. I just load the blanks and they magically appear after I push the button.

Chuck, great job on the pen. I love the hardware you chose, it really complements the blank. Cross contamination of dark dust onto lighter colored wood is the bane of working with these type blanks.

Apologies to Chuck's thread, but I'll respond.

I stand by my sentiment Ken - I Love Your Work! And, I have no problem comparing my precision to yours as it gives me a standard to aim for.

I for one, take inspiration in other's artistry! Carry on.

Besides, Chuck's pen is pretty spiffy :)!

jttheclockman

I maybe me reading into the last couple posts but I detect something. I do stand behind what I said about CNC and lasers. Mark you can cut all the straight line patterns you can think off and copy all those type patterns but try doing that with curve lines. Unless you use a scrollsaw and then it will be difficult to keep accurate Cutting straight lines is very easy. Your challenge is the size of the pieces that you are choosing to make. Curves form naturally from straight lines when turning a round object. Ken is making things with curves designed into them.

My point was not that lasers are easier Ken, it is just that they are more accurate because it is a machine. We as humans are not machines. Lasers and cnc can not make perfect no curve angles so this is one thing I always pointed out to customers when comparing my scrollsaw work with that of a laser cut beside the burning of the woods. There has been great strides with those type tools,yes. But comparing a handmade blank to that of a machine made blank is going to be left to the observer.

I wish you both good luck in your blank making.

Top Bottom