Maple Vase UPDATE!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Here's my first vase from the maple tree I got before I shortened my pinky. BTW, I'll start taking orders for FR boxes. I am going to do a limited number, don't know exactly how many yet. First come, first served, I will not ask for paypal until your wood is boxed and ready to go. I'm thinking $30 for a flat rate box full.

20069271331_maple.jpg

200692713313_maple1.jpg

200692713333_maple2.jpg

BTW, no guarantee how much color you get in your box, but I'll try to get as much as possible. Email me with orders.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

I think I am going to try and take some better pics of this. The color in these photo's is WAY off. The colors in this maple are pretty intense, more so than what the pics show. In the pics, it just looks too busy and confusing, when in actuality, these colors are very pretty and complimentary.

jeffm19

Wow that's a nice vase, love the swirls of grain in that maple and that's quite a uniform turning pattern you got there. Very nice !

Woodnknots

Originally posted by jeffm19
<br />Wow that's a nice vase, love the swirls of grain in that maple and that's quite a uniform turning pattern you got there. Very nice !
The shape was not what I had in mind when I started. It is about 180 degrees out from what I had in mind. That happens so often to me that I think I'm just going to start putting wood on the lathe and turn without any preconceived ideas. things seem to work out better when I do that.

Woodnknots

Bad news folks. I put this vase upstairs in my shop (which is kind of like a kiln) with a fan on it to dry it out quicker, and it apparently dried TOO quick, as I checked it today and found it split WIDE open. I'll have to make another one, obviously, and rough turn it first and dry it slowly. Too bad, it had some great figure and color. Lets all bow our heads and have a moment of silence please................ Okay, lets get turning, shall we?

alamocdc

That's too bad, Dave! If you turn it thin enough, it will dry faster. Just keep it in a brown bag if where you have it is real warm. Otherwise you'll be in the same boat again. DAMHIKT

Woodnknots

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />That's too bad, Dave! If you turn it thin enough, it will dry faster. Just keep it in a brown bag if where you have it is real warm. Otherwise you'll be in the same boat again. DAMHIKT

will do. My daughter asked me if she could have it, and was quite excited when I said yes. She displayed it on her shelf with the crack toward the wall. Looks pretty good as long as you can't see the crack! lol

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Oh, yea, guess that's a lot of sawdust, too..!!.

That sure is a pretty vase though..

I had a nice little cherry bowl that did that to me,
turned it, thought it was dry, took it to my lab (controlled temp and humidity) and by lunch that thing had not only split open, but had about an inch crack in the thing.

Originally posted by Woodnknots
<br />Unfortunately, the crack is about 3/4" wide. That's ALOT of CA....[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom