MAPG Feedback

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Don't be shy, let us know how we did, anything we can improve or change for next year. This event is for the participants, so we want to make sure we do everything we can to ensure a great time by all! Please feel free to email or PM me if you prefer...

Thank-You!:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

First off, and most importantly - the MAPG was fantastic! It was great to meet all the other penturners. The demos were awesome too - despite having been turning for years, I learned something new from every single one.

If I had a single suggestion to make, it would be to make the MAPG longer (a full weekend).

Some possible constructive suggestions (and please, take these as ideas, not as criticism) are:
  • use a PA system for the demos. It would make the people doing the demos easier to hear. A PA system for announcements would have been good too. Others have complained about noise from hallway discussions and, regrettably, I was one of the noisy people. When I realized I was interfering with the demo, I moved - and I apologize to anybody who had trouble hearing it because of me.
  • Schedule a 10min break between demos. That would give people an opportunity to use the restroom and not miss a demo.
  • Schedule a break from 12:00 to 01:00, so people could get lunch and not miss a demo. Can you tell that I attended every demo? Well, I tried anyway.
  • Schedule a purely social time where people could show each other their pens. I brought some of mine and enjoyed sharing them. I'd have liked to have seen more of the other's attendees pens too. Only a few brought theirs - and often not many.
All in all, I enjoyed the MAPG tremendously and I look forward to the next one. Thanks to everybody who helped organize and run the event, as well as all who attended.

Sincerely,
Eric

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Great comments Eric and great meeting you as well.

I did have a small PA system, and decided at the last minute not to use it. It wasn't the best quality system and I was torn. I even looked into rentals but couldn't coordinate the timing. I hope to recruit some audio/visual experts for the next. .

As for the demo durations, you try getting Curtis off the stage:). We actually did have 10 minute breaks but so many door prizes to give away also ate into our time.

A break between 12 and 1 would be nice. If we get that many demos next time, maybe one for Friday or some mini ones. A couple of people mentioned a more formal show off your pens and introductions. Another good idea.

Look forward to seeing you again.

First off, and most importantly - the MAPG was fantastic! It was great to meet all the other penturners. The demos were awesome too - despite having been turning for years, I learned something new from every single one.

If I had a single suggestion to make, it would be to make the MAPG longer (a full weekend).

Some possible constructive suggestions (and please, take these as ideas, not as criticism) are:
  • use a PA system for the demos. It would make the people doing the demos easier to hear. A PA system for announcements would have been good too. Others have complained about noise from hallway discussions and, regrettably, I was one of the noisy people. When I realized I was interfering with the demo, I moved - and I apologize to anybody who had trouble hearing it because of me.
  • Schedule a 10min break between demos. That would give people an opportunity to use the restroom and not miss a demo.
  • Schedule a break from 12:00 to 01:00, so people could get lunch and not miss a demo. Can you tell that I attended every demo? Well, I tried anyway.
  • Schedule a purely social time where people could show each other their pens. I brought some of mine and enjoyed sharing them. I'd have liked to have seen more of the other's attendees pens too. Only a few brought theirs - and often not many.
All in all, I enjoyed the MAPG tremendously and I look forward to the next one. Thanks to everybody who helped organize and run the event, as well as all who attended.

Sincerely,
Eric

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The question of length is always difficult.

Use the whole weekend and the "un-retired" will have to get time off work and the small vendors will be torn between coming and staying home to fill orders (I know we could not have taken much more time.

The idea of a PA system is good. Any old speakers can be adapted to make a makeshift PA.

I continue to think the event was as close to flawless as humanly possible for a first effort!! Fine tune, if you wish, but most of all be proud of your achievement!!!

Ed

edstreet

Well put. I have posted various things on other threads on this topic and it was a very good meeting and very enjoyable.

Some other things that I think should be looked into but not sure what exactly needs to happen.

• Namely vendors need breaks, with cult like followings it was near impossible to even see the table for the people that was camped out there and if it was that bad from the floor perspective I would hate to see it from the vender view point. One mentioned in another thread they were unable to see, know or taste the brownies and that was a tragedy. I wish I had known and I would have brought them to each and every vendor myself.

• Some demo's to add:
    • Photography - Honest truth is I could probably do a full 3 day demo on this one subject alone and not have enough time
    • Kitless :)
    • Chisel sharpening and selection
    • Actually I would like to hear from vendors and hear things like what THEY want to see in the field, not just in what items are in high demand but what areas need attention.
    • As for the demo setups itself I see a good need for some type of chalk board or dry erase board, two good cameras to record one in wide angle and one in close up details. Also a good overhead projector for a laptop and camera
    • I loved being at woodcraft but really a room about twice that size would be needed. Good HVAC and viewing angle, perhaps some type of classroom or small auditorium type.
  • I could easily see something like this turning into a week long event

edicehouse

How can I say this without stepping on any toes. I think it is a safe bet this will happen again next year, but maybe have one or two less demo's. (I would not want to be the one to select who does not do their demo). That free's up some time to have a lunch.

I talked to Fred a little about some time to meet others, but then it dawned on me, that time was offered, but I was not able to make it Friday.

The talk of better accomidations for the demo's/venders/etc is a touchy subject. To get a place that does cost money, and the insurance to hold something like that. Then there is a lot more effort put in by the volunteers.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
How can I say this without stepping on any toes. I think it is a safe bet this will happen again next year, but maybe have one or two less demo's. (I would not want to be the one to select who does not do their demo). That free's up some time to have a lunch.

I talked to Fred a little about some time to meet others, but then it dawned on me, that time was offered, but I was not able to make it Friday.

The talk of better accomidations for the demo's/venders/etc is a touchy subject. To get a place that does cost money, and the insurance to hold something like that. Then there is a lot more effort put in by the volunteers.

Thanks Ed - we will take a close look at the demo schedule next time. Of all the things on the agenda, for me, this was the biggest challenge. We wanted variety, some things for beginners through advanced and had to fit in the time slots. I'm not sure we will ever please everyone, but will keep trying.

You're right on about the venue. Cost and insurance were big factors and the local Woodcraft made the decision easy. Those of us on the committee wanted this one to be a free event for the participants and vendors. We were most interested in attendance and realized many would be spending considerable travel money. We were also lucky to receive 2 grants, but these were solicited as one time seed money and won't be available in the future. Once we calm down from this year, one of the first topics will be financing and whether we need a small entrance fee.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
IMHO, the more demos the better. Eliminating a demo deprives everyone of that demo. The attendees just need to pick and choose what demos they want to attend and which one(s) they want to miss for lunch. I'd rather decide for myself which demo to miss for lunch than have it decided for me. Many conferences I have attended are made up of "Break-out" rooms, multiple presentations were being presented at the same time. Attendees just need to decide which one they wanted to attend at any given time. Besides, the deli next door made lunch quick and easy. A scheduled lunch break is, IMHO, not necessary.

Chuck Key

It does not look like Padow's will be at the same location next year. The Richmond Times Dispatch reported this morning that the deli will be moving about 5 miles further West on Broad Street by early August, if not sooner.

Chuckie

marksman

MAPG was awesome! It was great getting to meet all the guys that delete my posts (totally kidding), seriously, it was nice seeing those who make the IAP a great place to share thoughts and ideas about our passion. I'll be back next year.

Bear-31

Fantastic!

The event as a whole was fantastic from beginning to end. I could tell a lot of effort went into preparation and execution. Good job everyone involved!

Feedback - Both the PITH and the Blank swap seemed thrown into an available 5 minutes...there weren't many. Some weren't prepared for it to happen when it did.

If you could do more of a chain swap it might give people a little more time to meet the swap partners. First person is obviously random (their name needs to be removedfrom the hat), the name they draw, draws next...and so forth until the last person drawn then gives their pen to the first person.

It is probably more complicated than it sounds and would require everyone to be there during the drawing. I'm sure someone can come up with a working plan.

I felt that when I gave my items to the person that drew my name it was hurried and I did't get to "meet" the person I swapped with and describe the specifics of my entry. I also didn't get the names of the people I gave my entries to.

Really looking forward to next years already. Thanks!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Carnac the great says "May you walk a mile under a diseased camel," Orlando is the answer!

Oklahoma would have to be MA/PPG (Mid Atlantic/ Pacific Pen Gathering) I hear Orlando has room!

OKLAHOMAN

Brooks803

As far as I know there is no lock on the concept of a penturner's gathering (hint, hint) Pacific Coast, South West, Southern States........... I love excuses to travel!!!

Wherever it is I'll be there!

For me I would have liked to have more time on Friday for a meet and greet. There were so many people that I didn't get to meet half of them!

The demos needed a PA system. Some voices carry better than others. For Toni's demo I had to sit in the back and could barely hear.

A larger venue would be nice. Woodcraft was amazing hosting the MAPG and if it weren't for the huge numbers I think it'd be the perfect place to continue hosting it.

A designated time for the swaps/contests would be nice. That could also be the time for people to grab lunch. I was sad that I missed the calligraphy demo but I knew that I had to eat before my demo which was next up.

low_48

I've pretty much stayed away from making comments, but when the list gets started of people wanting a gathering close to them, I can't help it. Start your own! All it takes is months of meetings, about 500 emails sent and received, planning months and months and months in advance, a free "large" venue that has it's own insurance, and weeks of lost sleep wondering if not enough or too many will show up. It's a breeze to do! Try it by yourself a couple of years and see what fun you have. Congrats to the team at MAPG!!!!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Rich, having hosted several other venues over the years, one of them hosting 350+ competititve shooters for 6 days. I am quite aware of the work involved. I already knew if I wanted one closer to me I could take the steps to make it happen. I just wanted to take a good natured poke at Roy and Bruce. I dont believe any of us were expecting them to really move the event or host it for us.

Tom T

It was great, great and more great.
Great door prizes, thank you to all the venders and others for making that happen.
The brownies were top of the top.
Tell the restaurant next door they can not move. That was good food.
There was a great crowd of people's there, which was good. I wish I could have had little more time to get to know them a little better. Maybe an introduction time or round-robin to find out who was who. See if they matched there IAP picture. Perhaps time to talk and view some of the pens that people had turned.
Had a great time learned a lot. Please, please do it again. All was good for sure.

tommy2tone

Hello everyone. Glad to hear you had a great time at MAPG. Would like to see videos of the demos. I saw Jeff's opening remarks. Would like to of seen Toni's clay one and the casting. This way we could "feel" like we were there. PLus people said it was hard to hear in Woodcraft. They can go back and rewatch it for what they missed.

Top Bottom