MAPG 2013...A thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker56

Betsy and I would just like to say "THANK YOU" to everyone associated with the MAPG this past weekend. I want to thank Bruce for inviting me down, way back when, and Tina and Fred for remembering me when I walked in the door Friday afternoon after an extended traffic congested drive. It was a pleasure to place real faces to names on a screen, and hopefully make digital friends, analog friends. To Charlie, talking photography over morning coffee; to Ed and morning coffee; Dawn and comparing the different Star Treks; Jonathon, comparing casting techniques (I didn't heckle during his demo); Mark, talking about a mutual analog friend; and to finally meet face to face Jeff, after all the years.

And to all the wonderful attendees, whose attendance made it such a success, and asking intelligent questions (something I do not get at pen shows). This being the first MAPG, I did not know how much of what to bring, and my apologies if I sold out of something that you wanted. If I am invited back next year, I will surely be there with more stuff.

Again, thank you to everyone involved for involving Betsy and me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker56

Thanks Alan, you should try to attend next year, a lot of names you recognize, and faces to go with them. Ed, maybe when I think that I am proficient enough at it, but first I have to finish building the equipment...almost done with the main part. Bruce, I just take pictures; nib welding...too specialized, the equipment is extremely expensive, and you have to make other equipment that's just not made; lapidary, silver, and goldsmithing...40 years, boring. Casting, Jonathan is the king of the casters, I'm just something like the Queen Mother now. Kit-less, there are far better kit-less makers than me out there, like you Bruce.

edstreet

I was thinking about the photography thing today while taking photo's of Toni's polymer clay pens. To really do photography right it would likely have to be broken up into several segments like beginner, advanced. You would also need some specialized equipment as well for a good proper demo.

penmaker56

Ed, to properly take pictures of pens, you need a descent DSLR/SLR camera with at least a 50-60mm macro lens, proper diffused lighting (the new color balanced CFL's are great), a tripod is a must), and a shutter release is a great help. A trip to Home Depot for lighting and a trip to the local fabric shop will eliminate the need for specialized diffusers, but the rest can cost a few dollars. Some knowledge of how depth of field working in a macro environment or a PC macro lens (big bucks) is also helpful.

edstreet

I never use a tripod, no shutter release cable and I do have both of those. The setup that I use is very portable very robust and very effective. In many cases they would be needed but I use a setup where they are not required.

penmaker56

Ed, what ever works for you. I usually use 85 PC, 105, and sometimes a 200, with those, just the vibration from the mirror flipping (use mirror lock up) causes a blur that no amount of unsharp mask will fix...hell, just breathing on the camera will cause it to move; and when a magazine takes your pic, and blow it up, any blur will cause rejection.

PTownSubbie

I never use a tripod, no shutter release cable and I do have both of those. The setup that I use is very portable very robust and very effective. In many cases they would be needed but I use a setup where they are not required.

Would you mind sharing a picture of your setup?

edstreet

Correction it is a 500 watt second moonlight. It hits 100% full power in 1/1500 of a second full range 6 fstops with modeling light. This bad boy is one serious light. She is portable and yes I can bring it to the next event if you want.

hard hat

I use a Canon EOS 60D with a f/2.8 60mm macro lens on a sunpak tripod. full spectrum CFL bulbs in a home brew light box. Have a shutter release but usually use the timer and step back before it goes. I would be interested in helping with the photography demo if that's what chosen. It could also be broken up into the three catergories a different way... phone (not uncommon these days and still able to take 'ok' pictures), compact point and shoots, and DSLR setups. knowing how to use the camera you have is the biggest battle in taking good pictures.

Sylvanite

The 60D supports shooting tethered with live view. It would be possible to do a demo showing the camera view and all the settings on a display screen. Then you could do things like compose the pen, move lights for a shine line, adjust white balance, demonstrate depth-of-field (with the DOF preview), set mid-point focus, control aperture and shutter speed manually, and use the histogram to help with proper exposure.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom