Making handles - once cream scoop etc - dishwasher safe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobC2951

Greetings all. New member here.

I've searched the forums pretty well on this topic and only found one from 2011 that talks about making handle for things like ice cream scoops dishwasher safe. If there is a more current discussion on this topic, please let me know.

I have to imagine that there has been some advancements in finishing products since then. I'm looking to make some ice cream scoops and cheese cutters for my family from the offcuts of some black walnut that was given to me by my uncle from a tree he had cut down in his back yard. Has some sentimental value obviously. I have already turned some pens and have been getting some pretty nice looking pens. Trying to select the most figured pieces for these projects.

If there isn't really a good way to do this to protect the finish, I can let them all know to hand wash only. Even then I plan on saturating the mounting holes with CA to hopefully protect any water seepage into the wood.

You thoughts and comments are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

If you can, use a threaded insert to make the handles on kitchen items dishwasher safe. After use, just unscrew the scoop, cutter, slicer, etc., and pop it into the dishwasher. The handle can be cleaned with a damp cloth if necessary.

monophoto

Seriously?

If all you are doing is scooping ice cream, rinsing it off is good enough.

Some people have convinced themselves that everything has to go into the dishwasher. We have one - it came with the house, but the only use we have for it is as a place to store stuff.

Reactions: J_B

BobC2951

Seriously?

If all you are doing is scooping ice cream, rinsing it off is good enough.

Some people have convinced themselves that everything has to go into the dishwasher. We have one - it came with the house, but the only use we have for it is as a place to store stuff.
I was planning for the "Oops - my kids put it in the dishwasher!" or "I forgot." Again - if there is nothing out there that can meet this requirement, I'll communicate accordingly. I like the threaded insert idea posted.

BobC2951

If you can, use a threaded insert to make the handles on kitchen items dishwasher safe. After use, just unscrew the scoop, cutter, slicer, etc., and pop it into the dishwasher. The handle can be cleaned with a damp cloth if necessary.
That makes sense. I like that idea a lot.

dogcatcher

I gave up on the issue of dishwasher safe years ago. I had business cards printed for that issue. It basically said that it is not to be washed in a dishwasher. At the time I also made wooden spoons, forks etc., everything sold had a card attached.

My version of customer service suffered until one day I finally flat out got rude and crude with stupid people. The lie of the customer is always right was lie created by stupid people.

egnald

Hmmm, I have never had any problems with that. I just tell my dishwasher to be gentle with them and to dry them right away. So far she has always complied. :) - Dave

Hi Bob, Welcome to IAP. My son used to live in West Des Moines, I have fond memories of the area.

Wood and water don't mix well, even if the wood is stabilized and some kind of finish put on it. I've got knives my wife and I got for a wedding gift, 48+ years ago, that still have the original wood handles on them. The handles get wiped down with a damp sponge and dried immediately, the steel is wiped down with a sponge with dish soap and then carefully rinsed off and dried. These knives are used daily sometimes multiple times.
My knives come with a list of care instructions and the first one is to keep your knife dry and if the handle gets wet to immediately dry it and "NO DISHWASHER". This also applies to Bone and Antler handles. I've done quite a bit of repair work on knives that have gone through the dishwasher. I've just about seen it all and the repair costs are usually not cheap.

BobC2951

Hi Bob, Welcome to IAP. My son used to live in West Des Moines, I have fond memories of the area.

Wood and water don't mix well, even if the wood is stabilized and some kind of finish put on it. I've got knives my wife and I got for a wedding gift, 48+ years ago, that still have the original wood handles on them. The handles get wiped down with a damp sponge and dried immediately, the steel is wiped down with a sponge with dish soap and then carefully rinsed off and dried. These knives are used daily sometimes multiple times.
My knives come with a list of care instructions and the first one is to keep your knife dry and if the handle gets wet to immediately dry it and "NO DISHWASHER". This also applies to Bone and Antler handles. I've done quite a bit of repair work on knives that have gone through the dishwasher. I've just about seen it all and the repair costs are usually not cheap.
Appreciate the comment. As a person who sees changes in technology a constant thing, I always am, on the lookout for the possibility that someone has solved issues like these.

On another forum, a person mentioned coating the blank by dipping/coating it in some kind of epoxy and let it drip down to the end you will be putting the metal piece in. They use epoxy on boats that withstand the harsh salt water environment so this may have some merit and I might try that with some test piece to check it ou.

I believe the real challenge is a finish that protects the wood, won't lose its sheen against repeated exposures to some pretty harsh chemicals in a pretty hot and wet enclosed space. Pretty tough nut to crack for sure.

Appreciate the comment. As a person who sees changes in technology a constant thing, I always am, on the lookout for the possibility that someone has solved issues like these.

On another forum, a person mentioned coating the blank by dipping/coating it in some kind of epoxy and let it drip down to the end you will be putting the metal piece in. They use epoxy on boats that withstand the harsh salt water environment so this may have some merit and I might try that with some test piece to check it ou.

I believe the real challenge is a finish that protects the wood, won't lose its sheen against repeated exposures to some pretty harsh chemicals in a pretty hot and wet enclosed space. Pretty tough nut to crack for sure.

The Epoxy they may be referring to might come from a company called System three. Check out Amazon as they have a very wide selection of this companies products. The other thing to be aware of is in dish washing soap. We have a one year old dish washer and the soap they told us to use has actually cleaned and brightened the copper on the bottom of our pans. First time that's happened without a lot of elbow grease. Good luck on your experiments and let us know how it turns out.

BobC2951

The Epoxy they may be referring to might come from a company called System three. Check out Amazon as they have a very wide selection of this companies products. The other thing to be aware of is in dish washing soap. We have a one year old dish washer and the soap they told us to use has actually cleaned and brightened the copper on the bottom of our pans. First time that's happened without a lot of elbow grease. Good luck on your experiments and let us know how it turns out.
That's interesting. Mind sharing the brand/kind of soap.

That's interesting. Mind sharing the brand/kind of soap.
It's made by Finish and it's called Powerball Classic. It's a hard tablet vs. one of the soft ones. Comes 84 tabs in a container that I think my wife picks up at Costco. We also use a liquid product by Finish that leaves zero spots on anything. It's blue and you just add it to the little holding tank next to, in our case, the soap dispenser. Keeps the dishwasher clean and water spot free.

BobC2951

It's made by Finish and it's called Powerball Classic. It's a hard tablet vs. one of the soft ones. Comes 84 tabs in a container that I think my wife picks up at Costco. We also use a liquid product by Finish that leaves zero spots on anything. It's blue and you just add it to the little holding tank next to, in our case, the soap dispenser. Keeps the dishwasher clean and water spot free.
Appreciate that. Thanks.

Top Bottom