Mahogany for a shaving set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SpiritRider

I got a request for a mahogany shaving set after I had I had got home from the lumber yard. The lumber yard is an hour away.

Does anyone have some to sell? Is there anything like a figured mahogany?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
What size mahogany do you need? I recently finished a coffee table set that had mahogany in it so I may have some cutoffs I could shoot your way. It would be faster to go back to the lumber yard though honestly.

Not sure about the figured though, I haven't ever seen any.

hooked

Look up mahogany from "The Tree" if you want to see figured—crazy expensive stuff. You can also find quilted or flamed mahogany, typically in Honduran Mahogany. Quilted mahogany from "The Tree" is some of the most coveted wood in the guitar luthiery world.

Sapele and sipo/khaya, referred to sometimes as African mahogany, are also alternatives with similar properties that contain a lot of chatoyance.

Last edited:

mrburls

What size are you looking for? I have 2" to 3" thick pieces of Honduran Mahogany from Martin Guitar when I lived in Pa.
Also have some 2" to 3" thick Pa. Cherry
Keith

SpiritRider

Enough for a 2x2x3 and 2 3/4x3/4x6

I just need enough for one of these

Attachments

• 20210825_135824.jpg
    20210825_135824.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 97

mrburls

I have a piece laying here that is 2" x 3 3/8" x 27 1/4" long. If you want I can cut it in half and put it in a MFRB and ship it to you tomorrow if you pay the shipping. You can get at least two sets from it if not more.
Keith

greenacres2

Keith's mahogany is nice, they were originally neck blanks for acoustics. Straight grain and stable. I still have a few from that batch.
Earl

Top Bottom