Magnetic tool holders...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

The most recent rearranging of my shop left my lathe up against a wall so I decided to use a magentic bar to hold some tools. Well, most of the tools that were on it are now magnetized. To me this is a really bad thing since they like to stick to the toolrest instead of gliding across it. Luckily these were not my better tools.
Does anybody know how to de-magnetize the tools that were on the bar?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

If you get it let me know I have a couple than need de-magnetizeing.

Another bad thing is wait til you sharpen and the metal dust sticks to your edge.

guts

Kevin,i got a freebee at rockler one time that d's it just a small thing and i've never used it,if you don't find anything let me know and i'll send it to you.

Fangar

My magnetic tool holders don't charge the tools. Wierd. Might be the steel plate in my skull that counteracts the magnetic field eh?

[;)]

Fangar

woodmarc

If I remember my basic electricity correctly, If you move a tool through an AC powered electromagnet, it will demagnetize the tool. If the tool is inside the coil, and power is removed, the collapsing electromagnetic field will magnetize the metal.

It's been 20+ years since I've had to summon the little nugget of info. [:p] ( From my Navy Days! Yeesh!)

I also use a magnetic tool bar to hold up my chisels, however, mine has 3 magnets, and they alter polarity, which reduced the likelihood that they will magnetize a tool.

Thumbs

Kevin,

Go down to your local TV repairman if any still exist around you and ask him to use his degaussing coil and see if that works for you.

You can always use your hammer, too![:D] Smacking the steel with a hammer will disarrange the little magnetic domains, not too sure what shape your tools will be in; but it will demagnetize them for you.[}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom