Made a funnel, really!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

The presidents challenge this month for the Etowah River Woodturners was to make a funnel. I made this little piece, about 2 1/2", from Bradford Pear. Drilled a 5/16" hole first, hollowed the inside cone then worked the outside down to an even thickness then finished the stem with calipers set at 1/2" to get even results. Finally parted it off and sanded the end finished with oil. Was a lot easier than I imagined when the challenge was announced.
F56DB643-FA13-419C-9D16-3AF8343FD9DE.jpeg
9F1061CB-158C-41F4-B6DF-16F2802FEFE2.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

That's really cool. I would not have thought of it, but I suppose anything round/cylindrical can be done on a lathe.

A side note about Bradford Pear: Here in NC it has reached an invasive status and they will actually reward you for cutting them down by giving you a free native tree to replace it. I guess that means there will be some available if you know where to look. I ought to call them and inquire as it really is a nice looking wood. I have done a couple bowls with it and like the color when finished with some friction polish.

Gary Beasley

Im aware of the invasive status of the tree Todd, interesting to know about the bounty on the tree. I think the wood is kind of bland but the turnability is great.

gimpy

Never ever thought of making a funnel
That was a pretty good assignment
That looks like you took 1st

Woodchipper

That is a challenge! To me, any turning is a challenge. Re: bradford pear. We have a neighboring subdivision named for the tree and the main road is lined with them. They have a habit of splitting in high winds and are replaced accordingly. I think I have a couple of cutoffs when some were cut a few years ago. I probably didn't think to mark them.

Top Bottom