Lots If Firsts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

First time making this kit. First time trying out TBC and made from one of the blanks i got in the recent BASH pith. Kit is the Editor from Exotic Blanks. The blank was made by Cody Walker. I seen these and thought with the smaller size, ladies would like them to keep in their purses. The kits are very inexpensive. They use a Parker refill and are postable. The cap snaps on very well. My wife claimed it as her own as soon as she seen it. The TBC method worked fine, but honestly, I didn't see any advantage. I just wanted to see what the hypes all about. To each his own [emoji846]
Image1613846455.151219.jpg
Image1613846462.901494.jpg
Image1613846475.548740.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogrunner

that's a nice looking pen. Next time you turn a celtic knot try it between centers.

magpens

@KenB259

What TBC is all about ..... or at least partly about ..... is saving money on bushings ..... AND saving frustration of FINDING them once you have them.

Also .... considerably better accuracy in turning to size ..... relying on bushing fit into brass tubes is somewhat "dicey". . Usually fit is a bit sloppy.

KenB259

@KenB259

What TBC is all about ..... or at least partly about ..... is saving money on bushings ..... AND saving frustration of FINDING them once you have them.

Also .... considerably better accuracy in turning to size ..... relying on bushing fit into brass tubes is somewhat "dicey". . Usually fit is a bit sloppy.

Well, from what I've read, many turners buy special TBC bushings, at twice the price, I might add. Organization is one of my skills, so I know right where my bushings are. My pens turn out well. You have not convinced me. [emoji23]

Kcimdrib

I assume TBC is turn between centres if not please correct me. I have used this method for a long time and the fact you can take the blank off the Lathe when finishing for examination is a plus.

jttheclockman

I am in the same camp as not a converted TBC guy and never will be. I use and have been using the very same mandrel I bought 15 years ago. I have a few others that are brand new and in fact I just found them the other day. I have mentioned this numerous times here. That I will turn down to close to final shape using the bushings and some times even right to final shape. I actually turn the bushings down in size so that I can get to exact measurement using calipers. Now I will switch to a TBC setup for sanding and polishing if need be. But to me there is nothing wrong with using bushings and a mandrel if you know the proper way.

By the way the pen looks good.

magpens

Well, from what I've read, many turners buy special TBC bushings, at twice the price, I might add. Organization is one of my skills, so I know right where my bushings are. My pens turn out well. You have not convinced me. [emoji23]

In the "true" TBC method, you do not need ANY bushings .... no cheap bushings ..... no special so-called (erroneously) "TBC bushings" ..... NO BUSHINGS.

Just TRUE TBC ..... turning BETWEEN CENTERS ..... WITHOUT ANY bushings. ....... Get it ??????? ....... LOL !! ... LOL !! ... LOL !! .... GET IT ?? .... LOL !!!

Just a dead center and a live center ...... cheaper, and more accurate ..... But I do use a metal-working lathe ... can't see why that makes a difference.

But I hope you don't let this LITTLE "argument" come between us, Ken and John !!! :D :D :D :D :D

KenB259

In the "true" TBC method, you do not need ANY bushings .... no cheap bushings ..... no special so-called (erroneously) "TBC bushings" ..... NO BUSHINGS.

Just TRUE TBC ..... turning BETWEEN CENTERS ..... WITHOUT ANY bushings. ....... Get it ??????? ....... LOL !! ... LOL !! ... LOL !! .... GET IT ?? .... LOL !!!

Just a dead center and a live center ...... cheaper, and more accurate ..... But I do use a metal-working lathe ... can't see why that makes a difference.

But I hope you don't let this LITTLE "argument" come between us, Ken and John !!! :D :D :D :D :D

LOL you are sounding like Charlie Browns teacher. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

KenB259

I am in the same camp as not a converted TBC guy and never will be. I use and have been using the very same mandrel I bought 15 years ago. I have a few others that are brand new and in fact I just found them the other day. I have mentioned this numerous times here. That I will turn down to close to final shape using the bushings and some times even right to final shape. I actually turn the bushings down in size so that I can get to exact measurement using calipers. Now I will switch to a TBC setup for sanding and polishing if need be. But to me there is nothing wrong with using bushings and a mandrel if you know the proper way.

By the way the pen looks good.

I have never ruined a mandrel either. This is one of those topics that amuse me. LOL, both methods work fine, but Mal wants to argue. [emoji85]

KenB259

By the way, this Editor kit is one of those kits that you don't even have to get close to the bushing size. There is a little lip, part of the design, that extends quite a bit out from the blank. This kit would be an excellent beginner kit.

jttheclockman

I have never ruined a mandrel either. This is one of those topics that amuse me. LOL, both methods work fine, but Mal wants to argue. [emoji85]

We are going to have to take Mal out to the woodshed. ;);):):)

This is just one of those no right or wrong ways to do something, just another way. Whatever gets you to the finished line is the goal.

I bought a few of those TBC bushings from someone here and have no idea where they are. Never used them. When I pass on there is going to be a fire sale here from my brother of all the things I have in the shop. He is going to not know what any of this stuff is. He is going to have FUNNNNNNNNNNN:):):):):)

magpens

We are going to have to take Mal out to the woodshed. ;);):):)

This is just one of those no right or wrong ways to do something, just another way. Whatever gets you to the finished line is the goal.

OK, you guys ....... I know when I am right ...... people start arguing VEHEMENTLY with me !! ....... LOL !!! . No hard feelings, mind you !!!!!

magpens

By the way, this Editor kit is one of those kits that you don't even have to get close to the bushing size. There is a little lip, part of the design, that extends quite a bit out from the blank. This kit would be an excellent beginner kit.

That is precisely why you cannot see any difference between using bushings and not using bushings !!!!!!!

magpens

Hey, John ....... how come your "avatar" does not show you as being present ...... do you have some kind of privileged status that hides your presence ???

Or do you sign out after every post you make ?

Kenny Durrant

Well I was just enjoying the bickering I mean discussion until I read they've never ruined a mandrel. If that's the case you've just never tried hard enough. Although I did learn what not to do after I ruined my first and last one. I was just starting and got sloppy with the CA. I replaced it and never had another problem until they came out with the mandrel saver. I bought it to upgrade not because I needed it. As far as the TBC or Bushings go I use bushing just because that's what I'm accustomed to.

jjjaworski

Nice pen Ken.
I do see that the hardware lends itself to some variance in the turned diameters which is nice. You are certainly correct in saying this would be a good kit for those starting out and much more forgiving compared to the slimline kit a lot of folks start with.

That blank is pretty cool as well.

jttheclockman

Hey, John ....... how come your "avatar" does not show you as being present ...... do you have some kind of privileged status that hides your presence ???

Or do you sign out after every post you make ?
Stealth mode. I put that on years ago and just kept it that way.

Top Bottom