Lost my mountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well it finally made it from California, Oregon and Washington to Montana. Here's our weather due to the fires on the west coast, nothing but smoke. I've lost the view of my mountain due to poor visibility and the amount of smoke. I wonder how many hundreds of millions of Oxygen producing trees are lost due to the fires. I hope my IAP friends in the west are doing well, I can't imagine how the smoke is there. The last photo is my normal view, minus the snow.

9-13 smoke.jpg9-13 sun.jpg9-13 #2.jpgmy mountains 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Quite a difference. I've heard the smoke is reaching Michigan. We haven't seen or smelled it here. But I wouldn't be surprised if we do.
I hope our friends out west are all safe as well Tom. Thanks for the pictures. Stay safe!

magpens

Thanks for pics, Tom !!! .

Smoke here in Western Canada from the US fires to the south.

Our sky looks like your second picture. . It's better not to be outside breathing smoke !

Feel sorry for our "neighbors" in WA, OR and CA, and wherever else there are such horrendous fires !!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sadly, thanks for the pictures. Not happy to see them, but it is eluminating.

I have nieces/nephews/family in Portland, OR, Corvalis, OR and below Silverton, OR. The latter are trying to protect a 2,000 acre grass seed farm for their father - they are putting down burn lines to get the brush contained. They are about 4 miles away from the western edge of the fires, but the fires have been contained in their area so they are in better shape. Gratefully, they have an Uncle (Brother-in-law) who is a retired Oregon Forester; he has served in many fire episodes over the past 40 years and still consults for fire remediation practices.

As you said, I also fear for the impact of the destruction. Annual contained burns are needed/would be helpful. About 25 years ago I visited/with family at a cottage in the Wallowa Lake/Valley area (Enterprise, OR), (Eastern OR). We hiked in a close park and the dead and fallen trees were 15-20' stacked high... prime fire timber. Fun to climb over for my children, not so fun when a fire comes...

I hope you are in a safe zone Tom.

Sadly, thanks for the pictures. Not happy to see them, but it is eluminating.

I have nieces/nephews/family in Portland, OR, Corvalis, OR and below Silverton, OR. The latter are trying to protect a 2,000 acre grass seed farm for their father - they are putting down burn lines to get the brush contained. They are about 4 miles away from the western edge of the fires, but the fires have been contained in their area so they are in better shape. Gratefully, they have an Uncle (Brother-in-law) who is a retired Oregon Forester; he has served in many fire episodes over the past 40 years and still consults for fire remediation practices.

As you said, I also fear for the impact of the destruction. Annual contained burns are needed/would be helpful. About 25 years ago I visited/with family at a cottage in the Wallowa Lake/Valley area (Enterprise, OR), (Eastern OR). We hiked in a close park and the dead and fallen trees were 15-20' stacked high... prime fire timber. Fun to climb over for my children, not so fun when a fire comes...

I hope you are in a safe zone Tom.

Your last statement I hold to be true Mark. I have done fire mitigation on 20 acres on my property which is right around our house/cabin. The second ridge you see in the last photo is state owned land which I'm surrounded by on 3 sides. There's been talk of doing fire mitigation work on state land but it's been contested in the courts. What I've done on my property is to make it as fire safe as possible and at the same time made my forest multi-species and a better habitat for wildlife. No guarantee if we have a fire here I'll get through it unscathed but...the house should be as safe as possible.

bsshog40

Wow Tom! The smoke is really gaining ground, besides the fires also. My mom lives in the San Joaquin valley in Calif.. The smoke is really bad out there. Be safe my friend!

sbwertz

Our skies have been white instead of blue for weeks now here in Phoenix from the smoke. Brilliant sunsets, though. All the AZ fires are east of us, so we aren't getting smoke from them.

Top Bottom