lost fight with cherry, supprised by Lilac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

A few days ago i was playing, had a hunk of cherry, intended to make a bowl for wife, went from this

20063715452_DSC01258sm.jpg

just about done..was saying "yes im a genius.... a real norm abraham junior". All i had to do was take off one small mark....put down my friendly gouge and picked up the ........skew.

Two seconds later

200637154430_DSC01266sm.jpg

another one of my famous kerchunks.....
200637155348_emot100.gif

Now im mad its bad enough my hot chocolate froze, and I had to chew it .. now i have nothing to show for my cold morning.

Decided to take it out on lilac bush in back of house. Grabed a saw, went out back and attacked the first peice i came to. It was about a foot long and a good 2" round.

What did i get.

200637154715_DSC01269sm.jpg

200637154738_DSC01270sm.jpg

200637154755_DSC01271sm.jpg

Inside was really pretty. The real supprise was how i finished the outside. After turning and sanding to about 320, never really planned on doing anything with it. I grabed a hand full of shaving and continued to sand (burnish)with that. Holly cow, it just shined to beat the band, and got as smooth as a baby skin.

I have read of others using sawdust, shaving, and a piece of pine to do that , but never tried it. Will have to continue to try this.

Of course your thinking now I have a pretty piece of wood to make a pen from right...wrong..while i was warming up in the nice warm house the lilac had another supprise.

Warm house+frozen wood = a whole bunch of cracks.

pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Pete, lesson #1 NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER USE A SKEW FOR BOWL WORK.... it is not meant for it.. skew chisels are for spindle work... the only two tools you want to ever use on a bowl are a bowl gouge and a scraper. I have seen way too many "could have been nice" bowls turned to scrap by someone using either a skew chisel or a roughing gouge on them.
The latest issue of the AAW magazine has a great article on the top 20 mistakes in bowl turning... very interesting reading...

pete00

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Pete, lesson #1 NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER USE A SKEW FOR BOWL WORK.... it is not meant for it.. skew chisels are for spindle work... the only two tools you want to ever use on a bowl are a bowl gouge and a scraper. I have seen way too many "could have been nice" bowls turned to scrap by someone using either a skew chisel or a roughing gouge on them.
The latest issue of the AAW magazine has a great article on the top 20 mistakes in bowl turning... very interesting reading...

Thanks for the lesson Tom.....Now you tell me...[:D][:D]

I'll check out AAW, i know i can come up with many more than 20.[:)]

alamocdc

Pete, I had one break like that on me (dropped it taking it off the lathe), but I was able to glue it back together and you'd never know the break was there. Just took a little extra turning to get it back to being a whole bowl.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Pete, lesson #1 NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER USE A SKEW FOR BOWL WORK.... it is not meant for it.. skew chisels are for spindle work... the only two tools you want to ever use on a bowl are a bowl gouge and a scraper. I have seen way too many "could have been nice" bowls turned to scrap by someone using either a skew chisel or a roughing gouge on them.

Got to disagree with you Tom. I took a class with Richard Raffan and he showed us how to use a skew on a bowl. He told us only to use a skew on the outside of the bowl. I also have video's of him using the skew to do detail work on bowls. Also, If you look at the bottom of this page you will see a picture of a really good turner from New Zealand name Terry Scott using a skew on the outside of a bowl.

http://avwa.org/Newsletters/AVWAnewsletter7_04.html

I'm not saying that I would recommend it unless you have total confidence in your ability to handle the skew. For me, it was the only way I was able to get an acceptable cut on the outside of a spalted maple bowl that I made.

gerryr

I bet Tom was referring to the inside of the bowl. I wouldn't hesitate to use a skew on the outside, but I sure wouldn't try it on the inside.

Woodnknots

One more note about tools to use on bowls. If you are doing centerwork (grain parrallel with lathe bed), a spindle gouge is acceptable (and many times more practical) for hollowing. I use a spindle gouge almost exclusively on goblets. The thing to remember is, when hollowing center work, work from the inside out. Face work is hollowed from the outside in, and a spindle gouge will catch (and skate)every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom