Loose clips on slimline pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Beardedblade

Anyone have a suggestion for tightening up loose clips on slimline pens. I have used ca glue but can be a mess to keep clean. Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Beardedblade

First off .... Welcome to IAP !! . :D .... You seem to have slipped through the introductory Initiation !!

With regard to your query ....

Are you talking about tightening up loose clips AFTER assembly ? . If so, without first disassembling the pen, the application of any kind of glue will, of necessity, be potentially messy. . CA is your best option, IMHO, and I recommend applying THIN CA using the point of a needle to get the CA to "wick into" the crack between the clip ring and the pen barrel, and/or the crack between the clip ring and the pressed-in finial button.

The needle point will pick up only the tiniest amount of CA, and transfer it to the point in question. . Several such transfers will be necessary and the process could very well tax your patience, but I know of no other way.

During the assembly process, I like to use a very small dab of epoxy between the clip ring and the top end of the barrel
With practice you become a good judge of the amount of epoxy to apply so that the squeeze-out of glue is minimal during the pressing together.
The required amount of glue is very tiny.

I make it routine during assembly to glue the clip in this way.

TonyL

He Folks:

I asked the same about all pen kits. I tried LT and JB Weld and found JB Weld to work better (for me). They have a clear formulae. Yes, I am careful not to get it on the finish. And I do rough-up the components and the inside of the tube.

I tested lock tite (was my first choice) and medium CA. I can break all of the above, but JB Weld and any other epoxy worked better - this is juts my personal experience. I would actually like to solder it on.

MPVic

@Beardedblade

First off .... Welcome to IAP !! . :D .... You seem to have slipped through the introductory Initiation !!

With regard to your query ....

Are you talking about tightening up loose clips AFTER assembly ? . If so, without first disassembling the pen, the application of any kind of glue will, of necessity, be potentially messy. . CA is your best option, IMHO, and I recommend applying THIN CA using the point of a needle to get the CA to "wick into" the crack between the clip ring and the pen barrel, and/or the crack between the clip ring and the pressed-in finial button.

The needle point will pick up only the tiniest amount of CA, and transfer it to the point in question. . Several such transfers will be necessary and the process could very well tax your patience, but I know of no other way.

During the assembly process, I like to use a very small dab of epoxy between the clip ring and the top end of the barrel
With practice you become a good judge of the amount of epoxy to apply so that the squeeze-out of glue is minimal during the pressing together.
The required amount of glue is very tiny.

I make it routine during assembly to glue the clip in this way.
Thanks for the reminder, Mal. I just about ruined a beautiful Euro pen this afternoon when gluing the centre band onto the tenon by using CA. I still don't know why I chose the CA, because I had learned sometime ago that epoxy is much easier to cleanup and doesn't mar the finish - senior moment??

magpens

@MPVic

Ha .. Ha .. . . he says with trepidation and much hesitation ........ join the clutzzzzz ..... I mean CLUB ..... Mark !

It's one thing to tell others about it ...... quite another to remember to do it oneself !!!!

Top Bottom