Looking to purchase a non triple start M13.8 die

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fpokatu

Hi,
I am just getting started with kitless and would prefer to start with a non triple start m13.8 die. However, I can't seem to find any for sale. I was wondering if anyone might have one they would like part with.
Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Where do you get the 13.8 designation from? It isn't a normal size and a tap and die of that diameter would be a special order and that isn't cheap. Victor Machinery have a lot of taps and dies in standard sizes and they have a 13 x .75mm die but no matching tap and their 14 x .75mm die is out of stock but naturally have the tap. Victor does have a minimum order of $25 but you can get the drill bits you'll need to make up the order.

Curly

fpokatu

Thanks! I couldn't find any myself.
Any non Ebay pointers appreciated.
FWIW a bunch of videos talk about .8 Maybe that's only the triple start version?
e.g.

thanks again,

Curly

Your only sources of non ebay, Aliexpress, Alibaba, Bangood sites would be the machine tool suppliers like MSC, etc supplying tooling commercial companies.

fpokatu

Amazon has a m13x.75 tap & die set for $20.
Thanks. I think it's diameter is bigger than my holder which is 1" Maybe the solution is to find a bigger holder. I have not graduated yet to being able to make my own yet.

PatrickR

Thanks. I think it's diameter is bigger than my holder which is 1" Maybe the solution is to find a bigger holder. I have not graduated yet to being able to make my own yet.
It doesn't give the diameter but it would be more than 1". that size die would be anywhere you get one (i think the diameters are standardized)

fpokatu

Thanks. Sorry for all the back and forth, but where would I et die holder for it?
Thanks again.

PatrickR

Thanks. Sorry for all the back and forth, but where would I et die holder for it?
Thanks again.
No problem.
for the tail stock mounted kind? if so I don't know. look here https://littlemachineshop.com/
I discovered recently mine doesn't include a 30mm and I have a m10x1 die that size. I ended up ordering a die stock for it (a handle). Not ideal but workable.
a member here, jick wu sells taps and dies from china. If you rethink getting triple lead dies contact him. His prices are very good

Last edited:

Joebobber

Would a single start tap/die work on a pen? I hope it's not a stupid question. I thought because you thread such a small length you should use a triple start.

Curly

Yes a single start will work. Multi-start threads are used so the user can more quickly engage the threads to put the cap on. And it is in no way a stupid question. The single start pens are a great way to dip your toe in making scratch built pens with out the heavier start up cost. Once you decide if you like it you can get the double, triple or quadruple (your preference) threaded taps and dies.

MikeinSC

You can order M13 x .8 single or double start taps and dies direct from TapCo taps. It'll be slightly more expensive when ordering singles because you don't get the bulk discount price breaks. However, if you don't want the common triple start M13x.8 used in pen making, that's the way to go.

Top Bottom