looking for tool post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KB2WVO

i have a old atlas/craftsman 12.
iam looking for maybe a used tool post or what newer ones fit.. i see mini lathe tool post and not mini lathe tool post.
i dont know if this is called a mini lathe??
i guess there called quick change tool post.

also half way decent bits . just starting out so high end bits not even worth it for me. if i use this 3 times in a summer . might be a lot but who knows lol
dont have it setup yet ..

what would i be using it for mostly.... cuttin shafts for old tractors . bushings . things in that ball park for now as i learn who knows . i do have the stand up milling post also . so i guess i have all the axes cover x y and z ..

anyways ... middle of road pricing or cheap or used or free if anyone has xtra ..

this is the same one i have. pic is of someone elses but same lathe. tho i do have the latern tool post there ware out big time. wont even fit the slides. or iam missing bits to it to make it work ..
fCraftsman_Commercial_12quot_Metal_Turnin_5e62c4a261d7c-343828821.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KB2WVO

Contact Rick Harrell...You can find him and his "catalog" in the Vendor forum. If what you need is not there, contact him.
thank you for info..
still doesnt tell me if this is called a mini lathe or not ..
but will check his stuff out thanks

duncsuss

Find the machine identification plate and search the internet for the model number - you'll find a lot of information, there are forums dedicated to the subject of vintage metal lathes.

To my eye, this doesn't fall in the category of "mini lathe" - which would typically have a maximum swing of 7 or 8 inches (it's hard to tell from a photo, but this looks closer to 12") and a maximum length of about 12" to 14" (and this looks in the region of 2 feet or more).

Looks like a very useful machine if the moving parts are not worn out.

dogcatcher

Find the model number and look for a user's group for that lathe. There groups for almost every model of metal lathes. I would bet there are quick change tool posts available or someone knows how to modify an off the shelf version.

MedWoodWorx

i have a old atlas/craftsman 12.
iam looking for maybe a used tool post or what newer ones fit.. i see mini lathe tool post and not mini lathe tool post.
i dont know if this is called a mini lathe??
i guess there called quick change tool post.

also half way decent bits . just starting out so high end bits not even worth it for me. if i use this 3 times in a summer . might be a lot but who knows lol
dont have it setup yet ..

what would i be using it for mostly.... cuttin shafts for old tractors . bushings . things in that ball park for now as i learn who knows . i do have the stand up milling post also . so i guess i have all the axes cover x y and z ..

anyways ... middle of road pricing or cheap or used or free if anyone has xtra ..

this is the same one i have. pic is of someone elses but same lathe. tho i do have the latern tool post there ware out big time. wont even fit the slides. or iam missing bits to it to make it work ..
View attachment 338449
This beauty is a metal lathe what kind of tool rest you are looking for?

Mortalis

That is typically referred to as a "machine engine" lathe. General purpose is for machining metals to very precise dimensions and very fine surface finishes. Ability to "dial in" accurate angles (or non angles for straight parts) for shafts and bushings and cutting various threads accurately and consistently.
The tool holder is held in the tool post using a shim underneath it to align the point of the cutting tool with the axial center of the part. Generally that type of a tool post comes with a crescent shaped 'rocker' that allows you to properly present the cutting tool to the surface of the piece being machined. If you do no have a shim under the tool holder it may not clamp properly with the threaded screw from the top.

This is a very general description of the lathe you have.

Youtube video using that type of tool holder and toolpost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom