Looking for a sharpening tutor in MA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

I've come to the conclusion that I am dreadful at sharpening my turning tools and need a tutor. I am in central MA. Can anyone help me out?

Thinking about this some more, much as I'd like to do it in person, probably best to do it remotely, until the plague subsides. I'll take video recommendations.... And yes, I've been doing a ton of YouTube searching about this, but I'm missing something....

--Jonathan

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I've come to the conclusion that I am dreadful at sharpening my turning tools and need a tutor. I am in central MA. Can anyone help me out?

Thinking about this some more, much as I'd like to do it in person, probably best to do it remotely, until the plague subsides. I'll take video recommendations.... And yes, I've been doing a ton of YouTube searching about this, but I'm missing something....

--Jonathan
What gouges are you trying to sharpen and what type of sharpening set up do you have?

its_virgil

There are several clubs in Massachusetts. Look here for one near you. They can be very helpful.
ChapterFull AddressCityState ProvinceCountry
Association of Revolutionary TurnersWoodcraft Supply 185 New Boston St Woburn, MA 01801 UNITED STATESWoburnMAUnited States
Cape Cod WoodturnersCultural Center of Cape Cod 307 Old Main Street South Yarmouth, MA 02664 UNITED STATESSouth YarmouthMAUnited States
Central New England Woodturners1870 Town Hall 12 Woodward Ave Berlin, MA 01503-1119 UNITED STATESBerlinMAUnited States
Gateway Turners in West WarehamCape Cod Antique Restoration 2235 Cranberry Hwy West Wareham, MA 02576 UNITED STATESWest WarehamMAUnited States
Massachusetts South Shore WoodturnersDust Bowl 409 Washington St Abington, MA 02351 UNITED STATESAbingtonMAUnited States
Western Massachusetts WoodturnersReal Mercer's Shop 31 Lowell St West Springfield, MA 01085 UNITED STATESWest SpringfieldMAUnited St

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Real

This is Real Mercier. The Western Mass Woodturner's meet the second Wednesday of the month from 6:30 - 9:00 PM. The next meeting is April 8th. You're welcome to come check them out. I know some members are also members of the Central New England and/or the Central Connecticut Woodturners. Google them as I believe all three have websites with more information.

leehljp

Member Liaison
On site help is best if possible; videos help quite often, but as you have noted from watching You Tubes, you are missing something. A person that is adept at sharpening might notice what you are missing.

I fully understand the "missing it" from watching YouTubes and videos. I have purchased videos of Skews and watched quite a few skew YouTube over the years and still cannot get a smooth cut from one end to another and not get a "catch" - and I do all I can to cut from the middle of the sharp edge. I need a personal tutor. YouTube and DVDs did not get it done for me.

In Other fields, practice practice practice did get it done, and sharpening was one area that it did for me. Excellent CA finishes also came from practice practice practice. It those cases, I was not shooting for a finished product i.e. a pen or sharpened chisel, but the feel, the process. That translated into a good finished product consistently after the practice. However, it has not worked for me on the skew just yet.

donstephan

Part stubborn, part cost, part convenience, I started using the Robo Rest platform a couple years ago and am completely satisfied. Reed Gray, the inventor, has a Youtube video on it. My spindle gouges are sharpened on the Rest using a 40-40 approach I learned from a Stuart Batty video. My bowl gouges I sharpen using a "roll and push" I saw on the Richard Raffan videos. But no question having a mentor would be a huge help. But I would suggest two or three mentors, as each likely will use slightly different approach and vocabulary.

Top Bottom