Looking for a collet set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

I have the psi set but its missing 1 of the collets. Psi has a great deal on the collet set new right now. I believe its either 35 or 45% off. But if you want my set id give you a great deal.

monophoto

Larry

I bought the PSI ER32 collet chuck set - I like it and I use it. But if I had it to do over, I would buy a collet chuck, and then buy a set of metric collets separately. You can usually find metric collet sets on Amazon or eBay. That may be more expensive approach, but it offers more functional flexibility.

The PSI set is imperial and ranges from 1/3" to 7/8" in 1/8" increments. The thing about collets is that they have an expansion range of about 1mm. What that means is that there are gaps between the PSI collets where it is not possible to grip a tenon. I generally am able to work around that limitation - most of the time, I turn the tenon that I later grip with the collet chuck, so I can make whatever size I need to match my available collets. And on occasion, I've been known to pad out a tenon with masking tape to get it into the gripping range of the next larger collet.

Incidentally, Craft Supplies has a set that is remarkably similar to the PSI set - the only difference is that the PSI chuck is threaded for a 1"x8tpi spindle, and comes with a 3/4"x16tpi adapter, while the Craft Supplies chuck is threaded for a 1 1/4"x8tpi spindle, and comes with a 1"x8tpi adapter. And the color of the plastic box may be different.

Metric collet sets usually come in 1mm increments - there are more of them than with an Imperial set, but more importantly, there are no gaps. So metric collets are a better solution. And obviously, you can still grip a tenon with Imperial dimensions.

thewishman

Larry

I bought the PSI ER32 collet chuck set - I like it and I use it. But if I had it to do over, I would buy a collet chuck, and then buy a set of metric collets separately. You can usually find metric collet sets on Amazon or eBay. That may be more expensive approach, but it offers more functional flexibility.

The PSI set is imperial and ranges from 1/3" to 7/8" in 1/8" increments. The thing about collets is that they have an expansion range of about 1mm. What that means is that there are gaps between the PSI collets where it is not possible to grip a tenon. I generally am able to work around that limitation - most of the time, I turn the tenon that I later grip with the collet chuck, so I can make whatever size I need to match my available collets. And on occasion, I've been known to pad out a tenon with masking tape to get it into the gripping range of the next larger collet.

Incidentally, Craft Supplies has a set that is remarkably similar to the PSI set - the only difference is that the PSI chuck is threaded for a 1"x8tpi spindle, and comes with a 3/4"x16tpi adapter, while the Craft Supplies chuck is threaded for a 1 1/4"x8tpi spindle, and comes with a 1"x8tpi adapter. And the color of the plastic box may be different.

Metric collet sets usually come in 1mm increments - there are more of them than with an Imperial set, but more importantly, there are no gaps. So metric collets are a better solution. And obviously, you can still grip a tenon with Imperial dimensions.
I did a mix of both. Got the PSI and added individual metric collets to fill in the gaps.

greenacres2

I did the Craft Supplies base set, and like @rixstix added the 1/32" increments to 13/16". Very nice, metric would be similar degree of happiness I think. In your shoes, I'd check out @Joebobber offer and add the 1/32" or 1mm collet set.

I don't use mine a lot, should be using it more, but I've probably used half those 1/32" increments. Turn a stub close, match up a collet, and turn an ornament or Christmas tree!!
Earl

Jim Smith

ER32 is the way to go. ER25 can only hold parts up to 1/2 inch in dia vs 3/4 inch for the ER32
I have a set of ER32 I use all the time. I also have a set of ER25 that I bought to go with a small metal lathe I used to have. One of the most useful tools I have purchased for my lathe is a straight 3/4" shaft dead center that I keep mounted in a collet chuck on my lathe for turning most pens when turning between centers. I bought the dead center from Rick Herrel of Rick's Custom Tools over at the International Association of Penturners (IAP). Risk makes first-class tools and is a terrific guy to do business with.

monophoto

In that case, I would go for the Craft Supplies 'Apprentice" set - it's more expensive than the PSI set, but its available with a native threading that fits your lathe without needing an adapter. If you buy the PSI set, you would also have to buy an adapter which would cost more than the difference, and an adapter that to go from a 1 1/4" spindle to a 1" chuck could increase runout.

monophoto

In that case, I would go for the Craft Supplies 'Apprentice" set - it's more expensive than the PSI set, but its available with a native threading that fits your lathe without needing an adapter. If you buy the PSI set, you would also have to buy an adapter which would cost more than the difference, and an adapter that to go from a 1 1/4" spindle to a 1" chuck would increase any runout that might be machined into the system.

Top Bottom