Long time since I turned other than a pen! Now: A platter!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jrista

jrista

I had an issue with my Laguna Revo 1524 motor late August. Laguna has been good to work with on the problem, but its been extremely slow. The pandemic and shipping issues are certainly taking their toll, so I understand to a degree, but it also sounds like Laguna is not properly staffing their support center, and the poor people who are staffing it are radically overloaded...so, it was a LONG journey to getting things fixed (and jury is still out on whether that is entirely the case yet). I finally managed to wrangle an entire new headstock onto the bed this weekend, and was able to turn my first 14" platter, something I've been trying to do since, well, August!

Credit for the technique and design used goes entirely to Jimmey Clewes...that man amazes me, at how easy he makes turning something like this look! This was harder than it looked for sure, especially smoothing out the bumps and getting that super clean finish (my sheer scraping technique is severely lacking):

Ripple Figured Maple Platter 14 inch-1.jpg

Ripple Figured Maple Platter 14 inch-3.jpg

Ripple Figured Maple Platter 14 inch-4.jpg

Not yet sure what to finish it in. Its currently mostly sanded, but unfinished. I really like the color of maple, so...anything Linseed-based worries me, and I suspect will yellow it considerably. What is another good finish that will penetrate, saturate those fibers and make that figure ripple and shine, and is easy to apply? I have tried lacquer and polycrylic on some previous platters, and they are both challenging to apply. I have also fiddled with polyurethane...not sure if that, too, will yellow the wood. I'm not sure what other options there may be, but I'm all ears!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Ripple Figured Maple Platter 14 inch-2.jpg
    Ripple Figured Maple Platter 14 inch-2.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 89
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I had a good experience with Odies oil on some sapele shelves. Did a nice job of bringing out the grain and iridescence of that wood. Didnt change color at all

jrista

I had a good experience with Odies oil on some sapele shelves. Did a nice job of bringing out the grain and iridescence of that wood. Didnt change color at all
Hmm, I've looked at Odies in the past...I thought its purpose was to darken wood? Doesn't it say that on the jar? It also looked brownish in color to me...but, maybe there is a different product that I haven't seen?

EricRN

That's Odies dark. It oxidizes over time and darkens up. The original formulation is pretty neutral. This was the first time I'd used it and was pretty happy. It's pricey but left a nicer finish and went on easier than my typical Danish oil. We will see how it holds up.

jrista

That's Odies dark. It oxidizes over time and darkens up. The original formulation is pretty neutral. This was the first time I'd used it and was pretty happy. It's pricey but left a nicer finish and went on easier than my typical Danish oil. We will see how it holds up.
Ah, ok. I guess the local Rockler only carries the dark stuff then. I'll have to see if anyone carries the normal Odies. I forgot that in the past, I've also used Acks polish, which has always seemed to be pretty neutral color-wise....however that usually requires a sanding sealer, and I feel that a sealer tends to limit the chatoyance you can get out of a wood like ripple-figured maple.

I do have some Drs Walnut Oil...I've only used that on pens, but, its the clearest oil I've ever come across. I wonder if that will work... I have used Mahoney's in the past, but its more of an amber-brown color, and definitely changes the color of the wood (although interestingly, it seems to lighten walnut!) I think I have a smaller piece of ripple maple...I think i may try the Dr.s Walnut Oil on a smaller platter first, and see what happens.

jrista

Does anyone have any experience with this product:

Sounds like it is supposed to be non-yellowing, and other than the normal natural darkening when applying any finish, it isn't supposed to change the color.

tomas

I had an issue with my Laguna Revo 1524 motor late August. Laguna has been good to work with on the problem, but its been extremely slow. The pandemic and shipping issues are certainly taking their toll, so I understand to a degree, but it also sounds like Laguna is not properly staffing their support center, and the poor people who are staffing it are radically overloaded...so, it was a LONG journey to getting things fixed (and jury is still out on whether that is entirely the case yet). I finally managed to wrangle an entire new headstock onto the bed this weekend, and was able to turn my first 14" platter, something I've been trying to do since, well, August!

Credit for the technique and design used goes entirely to Jimmey Clewes...that man amazes me, at how easy he makes turning something like this look! This was harder than it looked for sure, especially smoothing out the bumps and getting that super clean finish (my sheer scraping technique is severely lacking):

View attachment 320560

View attachment 320562

View attachment 320563

Not yet sure what to finish it in. Its currently mostly sanded, but unfinished. I really like the color of maple, so...anything Linseed-based worries me, and I suspect will yellow it considerably. What is another good finish that will penetrate, saturate those fibers and make that figure ripple and shine, and is easy to apply? I have tried lacquer and polycrylic on some previous platters, and they are both challenging to apply. I have also fiddled with polyurethane...not sure if that, too, will yellow the wood. I'm not sure what other options there may be, but I'm all ears!

Thanks for looking!
Very nicely done! I use Varethane water clean-up urethane.

Top Bottom