LMS Medium Duty Live Center -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwc

I think I got the eccentric version. I received it yesterday and slapped it in the lathe today and started on an acrylic. Near the end of the process found a crack at the tailstock end. Attributed it to a bad blank or technique. Oh well...it happens. Mounted next blank, also an acrylic. Near the end of the process on this one found two cracks at the tail stock end. This time when I turned off the lathe I watched the TS center and it was visibly untrue. So much so that I didn't bother to get the indicator out and check the runout.

I put the stock LC back on and all is well including the smoother running sound I had lost with the LMS center.

Could the center being like this with all the other pressures being bought to bare on a blank have cause these cracks?

I have the heavy duty LMS LC in my other lather and it works great.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

There was another post within the past week or so about someone who had a problem LC from LMS. That person got a replacement LC. Maybe they got a shipment of bad centers. Why don't you call them??

I bought the medium duty live center from LMS and the first thing my wife said when she came out to the garage was "Why is your lathe so much louder than it used to be?". I also had problems with runout as verified by my dial gauge. I ordered the heavy duty version from LMS and the sound and runout are no longer a problem.

Todd

kenwc

Ya know the same thing happened to me. The second I turned on the lathe with the MD LMS center it sounded like the lathe was going to fly apart. Didn't have this issue with my heavy duty version from them.

I've written them but I'm really not compelled to return it unless thet pay the shipping cost.

TBone

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />There was another post within the past week or so about someone who had a problem LC from LMS. That person got a replacement LC. Maybe they got a shipment of bad centers. Why don't you call them??

I posted earlier about one that had visible runout. I emailed LMS and they instructed me to fill out the problem resolution form. They quickly shipped me a replacement and even said that returning the defective one wasn't necessary.

Randy_

I see that 800watt has some good prices on live centers on eBay. He has both the single point unit and one with interchangeable tips. Don't know if they are any good??

Anybody ever tried one of his LCs??

This is the same guy who sells 11 piece collet sets for the Beall collet for $50. Reports are the collets are a good value.

OSCAR15

I got mine from them a while back and it is true to center with no runout. You probably got a defective one...They are good to replace problems...

TBone

Originally posted by godfreytoddanderson
<br />Tommy,

Did your original live center make a lot of noise? And did the new one fix the problems? If so I'll go through the same process and get a new one too.

Todd

Todd, mine did not make any noise at all but you could see the shaft wobbling. I was afraid the new one was doing the same thing. The bearing housing has visible runout also but the center point appears to be running true. I haven't put a dial indicator on it yet.

Randy_

"Yes I am a Pirate".......................Jimmy Buffett

20061011144_ecu-med.gif

Is it just me or are you really a Pirrte??[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom