Live Center Woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Last year I bought a 60 degree LC from Woodturningz (I think it's the PSI model). It worked quite well for me until I cranked my lathe up to 3000 RPM. Now it cooks the grease out of the bearings. I first tried white lithium grease (like I use when rebuilding engines) because I figured it could take the temperatures. Then I tried axle grease... it cooks out faster than the lithium. The lithium lets me run for a few weeks (at least it did) and the axle grease lets me run for a few minutes. I need to know two things. 1) Should I even bother with trying to repack these bearings, and if so with what? And 2) If not, which of the three LCs at The Little Machine Shop should I get (light duty, medium duty, or heavy duty)? I have a Delta Midi and 15" Craftsman lathe and both use MT2. TIA!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Yarael

What about replacing the bearings with cermic bearings? They tend to last a lot longer with much less wear and tear on everything. Also are these Sealed or NonSealed that are in there? That also tends to make a difference. If you know the size check out towerhobbies.com see if they have any replacements that might work for you.

loglugger

Most of the oil Companies make a high temperature grease that should work. I don’t think good bearings should be getting that hot. The Little Machine Shop light duty is this one I am using.
Bob

Randy_

I'm using the LMS live center too....#1189, standard duty. There have been a couple of post about people having problems with the HD centers when using them for pens.

I've never touched my live center after turning a project; but my gut feeling is that they should not get hot enough to "cook" out the grease. I would be thinking along the lines of a bad bearing if it is getting that hot.....but just guessing. I wonder if the seals are worn out and allowing the grease to escape? I don't know if you can replace the bearing(s); but at $13+shipping for the LMS center I'm not sure it would be worth the time to try a repair??

Rifleman1776

My guess is that the term "cook" is not what is happening. Sounds to me like they are simply over greased and excess is finding it's way out. My suggestion is clean it up and keep using. It will probably fail you in about ten years.

alamocdc

Frank, it gets so hot I can't touch it. I can tell when it's heating up because it starts whining and begins to drag. I thought I had over greased it at first, but such is not the case. The bearings (2 of them) are pressed onto the MT2 shaft. I could probably order replacements, but I'm not sure I can get them off without hurting the shaft. For the money it would cost to get new bearings in, have a machine shop press the old ones of and new ones on, I can just order a new one. At least that's my current mind set. Am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom