Live Center Upgrade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Looking at upgrading the live center for my tailstock since I am replacing the spindle bearings on my headstock.

Have always used the $20-$30 import from the local woodworking stores. Used to checking the back ring to ensure it is tight and now on my second one.

As I research upgrading my live center since I am also beginning to turn different stuff, it appears the primary upgrade choices in the wood arena tend to be One-Way, Nova, Robust & Axminster. Possibly a couple of others that are less used but highly regarded and many clones.

What do you use? Any specific reason for your preference? I have done a lot of research so quite aware of the differences in the designs. Make me smarter based on your experience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have several of the Sorby steb centers and love them. Going on 10 years an would buy them again in an instant. Maybe not the cheapest, but for quality I am very happy.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is a link to Grizzly:

I became surprised a few weeks ago when I checked and found out how much live centers and drive/dead drive centers had increased in prices in the past 5 or 6 years. I have three heavy duty live centers, two or which are Grizzly.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-live-center-mt2-with-taper-bearings/g5686. $58.65 I have two of these and It seems like they were about $30.00 each when I bought them. They have lasted 7 years for one and 12 years for the other.

Another one similar; I bought from the Little Machine Shop:
That one has not increased in price as much as Grizzly's have. And in this day, If I were looking for a new one, this is the one I would order. I have not known the LMS to have seconds; their stuff is top notch in quality.

(I have 2 lathes, Lost one live center and ordered another. Then found the lost one. It is always good to have a spare around. 🙂 )

Last edited:

walshjp17

Here is a link to Grizzly:

I became surprised a few weeks ago when I checked and found out how much live centers and drive/dead drive centers had increased in prices in the past 5 or 6 years. I have three heavy duty live centers, two or which are Grizzly.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-live-center-mt2-with-taper-bearings/g5686. $58.65 I have two of these and It seems like they were about $30.00 each when I bought them. They have lasted 7 years for one and 12 years for the other.

another one similar but I think I got it from the Little Machine Shop:
That one has not increased in price as much as Grizzly's have.
But shipping is outrageous - $30 for live center and between $16.50 &18.something for shipping.

leehljp

Member Liaison
But shipping is outrageous - $30 for live center and between $16.50 &18.something for shipping.
You are right and there is one thing I take for granted - I have a daughter who lives less than 20 miles from Grizzly and works about 4 miles from Grizzly. Either I visit and go by or have her pick something up for me two or three times a year. With The Little Machine Shops reputation and lower cost, THAT is the way I would go now.

MRDucks2

Ken & Mark - I have not yet looked as much at either the Easy Wood or the Sorby yet, though I just watched a video reviewing them both. I do use the Sorby steb centers in my headstock as the standard dead centers. Thanks to you both.

Hank & John - Thanks for the Grizzly input. I will take a look as I don't often think of Grizzly for accessories. LMS was not on my radar either though I recall they have several fans among us. Thank you both.

Gary Beasley

I like the Oneway system as they fit the adapter to hang my chuck on when mounting the bowl on the vacuum chuck. Helps the centering. Its seems to be well built.

NJturner

I've had the OneWay for years and it's a workhorse. I like the ability to change the nose pieces on it to accommodate what I am working on.

MRDucks2

Gary & Jersey - OneWay is popular and on my list to consider. I find the fact that the center rotates instead of the body very interesting. Thanks.

moke

I have this one:
but really never use the other inputs much, not sure it was worth it....

MRDucks2

Thanks, Michael - that's good to know as I sometimes look at two different centers and count the number of extra pieces. More must be better, right?

Charlie_W

I've been using OneWay for about 12 years and it is still going strong I like to buy the set with the cones as they are handy. They also have a pen turning 60 degree center point just for us.
I would also recommend Robust and Axminster.

I use the Nova Live Center System, https://www.teknatool.com/products/...rs/nova-live-center-system-with-stepped-cone/, and am very happy with it and its flexibility with multiple center points. The price is not too bad compared to others like Oneway and the others. Everything is included, no need to buy additional center points. Not as pretty as some, being flat black instead of chrome, but that doesn't affect performance at all!

moke

Thanks, Michael - that's good to know as I sometimes look at two different centers and count the number of extra pieces. More must be better, right?
I guess I should tell you that I really only turn pens. I have done lots of bowls and have way too many bowl blanks laying around, but am currently doing pens and flat work. I do however, have tendency to buy more tool than I need. This is a nice set, and for segmenting I occasionally use the blunt end, as to not split the blank as I turn it round. I have had some split open when I use the traditional "between centers". So I just get it round enough to put into a collet chuck for drilling. Maybe all those other ends are useful for other things..... and hey it never hurts to have too many tools right?

greenacres2

I've got a Nova (purchased) and a Robust (came with a lathe I bought), have also used One Way a lot. Nova can do a lot, and is very capable. Robust and One Way are both really nice and both feel like one time purchases…lifetime.
I start bowls to 12" with a friction (cup) drive, and trust the Robust with the live end with the cup, no problem at all. Not sure I'd feel quite as secure with the Nova, but would still use it at 10" pre-rounded.
Don't think you'll go wrong with any of those three, but not cheap!!
Earl

MRDucks2

Charlie and Mark - Thanks for the input. The OneWay has a long reputation with few issues. A lot of people buy the Nova and the 3 bearings put it one up on everyone else. Both are contenders.

MRDucks2

Mike - lots of tools is a good thing but also take lots of space, which I have a greater limitation on. Lol.

MRDucks2

Hey, Earl - Thanks for your input. I am wanting to get into some small bowls and such in addition to the stuff I turn now as well as some pepper mills, etc. I am sure any of the 3 would work but like you said, a life time purchase is what I am shooting for. My current lathe is limited to 12" but it can be a heavy out of balance 12" if needed.

MRDucks2

As I lay me down to sleep… I am leaning heavily toward the Robust Live Center tonight.

I like the OneWay and find the center vs the body spinning intriguing. The number of aftermarket items for the OneWay is also good.

The extra bearing of the Nova Live Center seems like a good thing and I like the taper leading to the nose.

With the Robust, I may end up one bearing less than the Nova but like the idea of the marge thrust bearing in the rear. It has the tapered nose and can still use most of the OneWay aftermarket items if desired.

I honestly believe any of the three will meet my needs.

jttheclockman

I have to say I have two of the PSI centers and they have held up quite well. Have used them for about ten years now. I have one dedicated for the pen mandrel and one I use for all other things.

Top Bottom