Little Machine Shop 2mt Short.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyMac

Just a quick compatibility question…. Will the Little Machine Shop 2mt Short live center fit (and operate) in my Jet 1015 lathe? The compatibility list on Amazon doesn't list the 1015 or any Jet for that matter but the Little Machine Shop website description for this live center says it is specifically for small pen lathes like the Jet 1014.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

I have a Little Machine Shop live center for my Jet mini (don't know Jet model) but I can't remember which one I ordered. Had it for years, still works great, and it's a great buy. Check the Little Machine Shop out. Their site may have more information. You could also call them and ask your question. When I got mine I ordered directly from them. Here's the link to the website.

randyrls

James; Yes it will fit, but the short length may NOT self eject from the lathe. This will make it difficult to remove. If your lathe has a hollow "pass thru" tailstock then no problem. I looked at the manual and it appears that the tail stock isn't hollow.

Could someone who has this lathe comment on whether the tail stock will work with a knock out bar?

you may be better off getting the standard length taper.

darrin1200

@jimmyMac
It looks like the 1015 is a newer version of the 1014, so it should work. That said,I just looked at the specs in the 1015 manual, and it says that the tail stock has a through hole. So even if it doesn't self-eject, you can use the knockout bar.

monophoto

Jim
'
Just out of curiosity, why do you need a 'short' MT2? Everything I've seen suggests they can be problematic, and if you can use a standard MT2, that might avoid any possible problems?

Curly

Jim
'
Just out of curiosity, why do you need a 'short' MT2? Everything I've seen suggests they can be problematic, and if you can use a standard MT2, that might avoid any possible problems?
In some lathes a proper morse taper with the tang will not seat because the tailstock taper inside the quill isn't the proper length. It's too short. With some lathes the proper taper will seat but it will reduce the stoke of the tailstock has because it will eject the taper before getting the quill retracted anywhere close to being flush with the face of the tailstock. In other words you loose the depth you can drill with the tailstock. There might be another reason or two but those come to mind at the moment.

jimmyMac

Jim
'
I don't need a short MT2. I was just shopping for a MT2 to try out tbc in this lathe and the Little Machine Shop live center seems to be one that forum members recommend highly.

jimmyMac

I don't need a short MT2. I was just shopping for a MT2 to try out tbc in this lathe and the Little Machine Shop live center seems to be one that forum members recommend highly.
I wasn't sure what the Little Machine Shop was referring to when they say "short"? If they are referring to the body or the taper being short. The standard taper live center they sell is backordered until April and I was being impatient.

monophoto

I wasn't sure what the Little Machine Shop was referring to when they say "short"? If they are referring to the body or the taper being short. The standard taper live center they sell is backordered until April and I was being impatient.
A 'short' MT is physically shorter than a standard MT. As Pete said, there are situations where a short MT is needed, but there is also a downside - lathes that are designed to automatically eject the tailstock MT presume that the MT is the standard length. As a result, the mechanism intended to push the taper out of the quill don't work with short MTs. If the tailstock is hollow, you can always use a knock-out rod to push it out (just like you have to do on the headstock), but if the tailstock is solid, that's not possible. There are a some tricks that can be used to remove a short MT that is stuck in a solid quill; I've never had to deal with the problem, so I've never paid much attention to the solutions, but there are a few videos around that discuss that subject.

Top Bottom