List of kit names

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bzahn

Is there a list of kit names that groups the same kit across the different names given to them by their sellers? For example, Sierra v. Gatsby? And if it indicates slight variations of essentially the same kit, that would be great, too. It would be helpful to new pen turners like me that haven't figured out all that already.

I did find one in the library a while back that listed a few such things, but I haven't seen anything more comprehensive.

Thanks!

Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AllanS

Define a while back - the master list was last updated in Jan. I use it by comparing the bushing sizes of the different kits. It's a bit tedious but the data is there.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The best I can do is to refer you to the IAP Bushings & Tubes app. You can at least search for similar bushing sizes & other parameters.

As Wayne noted, there are over 2,000 kit names. Some kits are offered under different names by different suppliers - sometimes it's just a different name for the exact same kit, but sometimes a kit might be a knock-off by a different manufacturer. While specs (and sometimes even the name) might be identical or nearly identical, technically they might not be the same kit.

We try to include notes & info in the app to help identify such things, but it's a work in progress & certainly not complete at this time.

BTW, Gatsby & Sierra are not the same. One is nib twist & one is finial twist, and they use different transmissions. Bushings are the same, but the kits definitely are not identical.

jttheclockman

Is there a list of kit names that groups the same kit across the different names given to them by their sellers? For example, Sierra v. Gatsby? And if it indicates slight variations of essentially the same kit, that would be great, too. It would be helpful to new pen turners like me that haven't figured out all that already.

I did find one in the library a while back that listed a few such things, but I haven't seen anything more comprehensive.

Thanks!

Brian
As mentioned by the 2 people who have done extensive research on the pen kits out there and their findings are spot. Not only are there over 2000 kits, they keep changing and being added on what seems a monthly basis. My suggestion is if you find a kit you like then stay with it. If selling pens you will never offer 2000 pen kits. Zero in on what you like or what you want to sell. Look at all the catalogs and web sites. Ask questions here about specific kits and good luck.

magpens

Is there a list of kit names that groups the same kit across the different names given to them by their sellers?

I'll stick my neck out . . . and say that I think the answer to that question is "No !" .

But if you want "comprehensive", as you suggest . . . .

Brian

. . . . then spend some time ( a lot will be required ! ) going through this reference, searching, copying, pasting, commenting, etc. :-

( with huge credits and heart-felt thanks to Wayne and whoever else contributed to that mammoth effort ) .

That is the best and most comprehensive information on pen kits that I have ever seen .

And, Brian, if you do produce a list of the sort that you are seeking, then please share with us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom