Linear pen vice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

I got my Christmas present a little early thanks to a local millwright that does my machining work. This in not just another 'nicevice' but rather a culmination of all the best ideas that I have stored in my mind over the past year. Machinist Mike has made my vice dreams come true. Some of the features include:
a) 1.5" thick aluminum jaws that willhandle any size blank & more
b) large flywheel that makes opening/closing a breeze
c) bronze bushing & nut that virtually eliminate the need to lube
d) 4140 steel used on the left/right hand threaded rods
e) linear bearings (Thompson)with matching chrome shaft

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that this is now the most solid pen acccesory in my shop. Please don't bother asking the cost, suffice to say that it will be the only one made of it's kind. I've included a group shot of the various jigs/tools that I've used for drilling blanks before the new arrival. Needless to say that most ended up in the trash bin in order to make room for my new toy. The vice is so sturdy that it does not need to be clamped down to the DP. It's not only self centering but self supporting. Enjoy the pics.
-Peter-

200692021538_P9190001.jpg

200692021557_P9190004.jpg

200692021616_P9190008.jpg

200692021639_P9190011.jpg

200692021657_P9190012.jpg

200692021719_P9190015.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveRoberts

So, I see I am not the only one who speaks over-builtese fluently. I cross-cut all my pen blanks on a 5hp. Grizzly table saw.

Congrats on your new baby.

Steve

bonefish

I do my drilling on my lathe, because my drill press is a small and flimsy one.

However, I do admire quality workmanship, both fit and finishing, and this vice has an abundance of that.

I would be proud of it, also.

Bonefish.

wood-of-1kind

Thanks for all the nice comments and I will share them with Mike (machinist). I know he will appreciate hearing these nice things about his work. This is probably the last pen vice I will ever need.

Rich, I'm working on upgrading my heavy duty DP to match the 'beef' of the vise. There's only so much equipment that one can store in a 8'x10' shop. I'll solicit funds to handle my pending divorce since my 'sweetie' is not amused about the mortgage that I took out in order to finance the purchase of this vise.[;)]
-Peter-

Paul in OKC

Gee, I've seen something similar before, but can't put my finger on it. I know the cost factor, I looked into linear bearing a few years ago, close to $100 just for them. Needless to say I didn't even build one for myself.
BTW, I would still calmp it down. Something that big getting away from you will hurt.
So I guess you don't need to stay on my list now[:D]

Randy_

Originally posted by Paul in OKC<br />..... BTW, I would still calmp it down. Something that big getting away from you will hurt. So I guess you don't need to stay on my list now[:D]

Also, it seems like you defeat the self centering feature if you don't clamp it down??

Paul, can I have Peter's spot??[:D][:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
As much as I appreciate fine workmanship and prescision,I'll stick with the set up I use.(when I drill on the DP which is not often)
Much like the one in the center of the bottom picture.
The DP vise with the wood V-blocks.
I must say though I always thought the wooden ones with the two handles was simplicity in itself.
Your friend should be commended.
(Did you make him a pen with the first blank you drilled with it?)[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom