Liking this random segmented blank making

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

I got interested in using the random blank making process from a recent thread on the subject. I must say it has been a fun learning process so far. The thing I like about it is that whatever you do it isn't wrong. It is segmented that anyone can do and still have some interesting results plus a good way to use all those precious scraps we are saving for that "special" project that never seems to appear. I great way to pull the trigger and make some pens.

I did a quick glue and rough turned blank last night when I got home. I will be cutting the other pieces I made into blanks for some Cigars and J. Gents today for my weekend turning. This is fun stuff and a nice change of pace.

I used some maple, walnut, cherry, Oregon mrytlewood ( spalted) and ash for my last glue-up between the cut parts from the square.
Since I have no veneer , I just cut some thin strips the best I could on the table saw. Used regular Titebond .

DSCN0525.jpeg DSCN0526.jpeg DSCN0527.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

Nice blanks! I'm very happy that the thread inspired someone to give it a try. I think it is a great technique.

Just a reminder for those who do not know, the full lesson/article is in the segmenting library found under the resources tab at the top of the site.

jjjaworski

Nice blanks! I'm very happy that the thread inspired someone to give it a try. I think it is a great technique.

Just a reminder for those who do not know, the full lesson/article is in the segmenting library found under the resources tab at the top of the site.
I colluded agree more. I'm loving this.

jttheclockman

I think we created a monstero_O. Good job and you are correct there is no wrong with that method and you will surprise yourself what design you can do. Keep up the good work.

jjjaworski

I think we created a monstero_O. Good job and you are correct there is no wrong with that method and you will surprise yourself what design you can do. Keep up the good work.
I think so--I even ordered some black dyed veneer for spacer material.
Funny thing is, I used to work at a furniture plant 20 years ago that veneered table tops and I had a bunch of scraps I never brought with me when we moved to New Mexico. You can't save everything.

Top Bottom