Light box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Got it today. Set up and ready to go. I realize there is no substitute for trial and error but I need a starting point. Background, low light, etc. I'm using an iPhone XS. Help. Thanks.

Ironwood

Got it today. Set up and ready to go. I realize there is no substitute for trial and error but I need a starting point. Background, low light, etc. I'm using an iPhone XS. Help. Thanks.
I'm not much help with a phone camera. But if you haven't read Sylvanites articles in the library, they are a great resource for getting the basics and more , well worth the read.

TonyL

Enjoy! I have made two of my own and they are a PITN to use )so I don't use them). I was looking for something like this Have fun with it.

Sylvanite

Light boxes/tents can be very useful tools, but they are not a cure-all for pen photography. One still has to get the lighting right.

I'm not a fan of units with built-in lights. They take away the ability to control the amount and direction of the key and fill lights, which (I feel) tends to defeat their purpose. Internal LEDs also create point reflections in any shiny surfaces.

Regards,
Eric

WriteON

Light boxes/tents can be very useful tools, but they are not a cure-all for pen photography. One still has to get the lighting right.

I'm not a fan of units with built-in lights. They take away the ability to control the amount and direction of the key and fill lights, which (I feel) tends to defeat their purpose. Internal LEDs also create point reflections in any shiny surfaces.

Regards,
Eric
I'm learning from
Square 1. For now I'm just looking to get a clean shot. I have a professional photographer moving next to me. I will not bother him but maybe he'll give me some pointers. He has been primed. I gave him and his wife a pen each.

FGarbrecht

I don't like the little light boxes like this with the zillion little LED light sources because I always got tiny little reflections of each LED in the shot. I ended up getting a couple of bigger light sources on tripods with light diffusers on each -- problem solved. I also never was able to get decent photos with the iphone. One thing that helped with iphone shots was getting a tripod mount for the phone, but the lack of good exposure compensation and light balance control in the iphone photo app make product photography challenging (at least for me).

Sylvanite

I also never was able to get decent photos with the iphone… the lack of good exposure compensation and light balance control in the iphone photo app make product photography challenging (at least for me).
If you are running into problems with focus, exposure, or white balance (et. al.) with your phone camera, there are a number of camera apps (iOS and Android) that will give you all the manual controls (even raw mode) commonly seen on DSLRs. Most are under $10.00 and some are free.

FGarbrecht

If you are running into problems with focus, exposure, or white balance (et. al.) with your phone camera, there are a number of camera apps (iOS and Android) that will give you all the manual controls (even raw mode) commonly seen on DSLRs. Most are under $10.00 and some are free.
I tried a couple of apps for the iphone and found them lacking; limited functionality, kludgy interfaces made them frustrating to use. Any ios applications that you can recommend? I haven't looked for awhile, and frankly I'm tired of paying for apps that promise more than they deliver.

Sylvanite

I'm learning from
Square 1. For now I'm just looking to get a clean shot.
Check out:

Sylvanite

Any ios applications that you can recommend?
I haven't tried any myself, but you might be interested in one of:

WriteON

Gray card. No light used. Some adjustments w/ Snapseed. Fire away. Comments/Criticism please. Detail is not great...could be sharper.

Attachments

• DB6DBE41-4608-459D-8B83-3C621E3E6C9A.jpeg
    DB6DBE41-4608-459D-8B83-3C621E3E6C9A.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Top Bottom