Liars Club Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Everyone:
Here is what I have so far. I thought I would post this here for some help from all of you. I just want to see what everyone thinks and get feedback and suggestions. Also, are we going to have a 1st & 2nd place or just one prize? I also noted in the rules that the entries will not be posted in the thread until after the contest so people cannot see what others are saying and try to out do them using their entry against them, so to speak.
Let me know what you guys think!

Welcome to the 4th Annual IAP Birthday Bash!

Liars Club Contest</u>

Objective:
In this contest, each entrant is expected to submit a “short story†that is the tallest tale or outright lie that concerns handmade pens and penturning. It can be a personal experience with a big made up twist to it or it can be anything that comes to mind. But all stories have to be YOUR Original work. It cannot be a story you read on the internet, in a magazine or saw in any other publication. All entries will be submitted to the following e-mail address (2008BashLiarsClub@penturners.org) with "Liars Club Contest" as the subject and with your name and IAP screen name at the beginning of the story. Within a few days after the contest ends, all entries will be posted in this thread for everyone to see along with the winners. Please keep the entries clean as this is a family site. The main objective in this contest is to HAVE FUN!

Rules:
• Must be original work. (i.e. not from an internet story or any story that has been posted by someone else in any publication.)
• Must not be the TRUTH!
• Minimum of 1 paragraph and a maximum of 4 paragraphs
• One entry per member (Must be a registered member of the IAP to enter)
• Please list your name and IAP screen name with each entry and e-mail to 2008BashLiarsClub@penturners.org with "Liars Club Contest" in the subject line.
• Contest will begin 7:00am EST on Sunday January 6, 2008
• All entries must be submitted by 7:00pm EST on Sunday January 20, 2008
• The judges decision will be final
• The 3 judges will be chosen at random. The identity of the judges will not be revealed.

Prizes:
First Place - $100.00 gift certificate from William Woodwrite
Second Place - 6 Original Prickly Pear Cactus blanks, and 16 wood blanks from MesquiteMan
Third Place - sampler pack of 20 blanks from Rob Curtis (BigRob777)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Mark!

This is a good start! The rules look pretty good. You should mention something about keeping it clean since this is a family site. You should also say that the identity of the judges will not be revealed, and that their decision will be final.

I also like the time frame you have figured out. It’s about the right amount of time, and still allows you to finish the judging before the end of January. I’m thinking of running the Ugly Pen Contest the 16th through the 30th, so I think these will fit together just fine.

I imagine we'll have three prizes for this, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And they will be pretty good prizes, so we should have some good entries.

These are just my impressions - what does everybody else think?

Scott.

melogic

Scott, I went and added the changes you suggested and will continue to add or change as we discuss this. That way, when we have it finalized here, I will have the final copy as well.

Jeff, I have this e-mail (pensite@roadrunner.com) setup for my web site so we can use it for this contest if you want to direct all entries to it or however you want to work it.

How does everyone feel about the entries? Should they be posted for everyone to see throughout the contest or wait until the contest is over? Look over all of the information posted about the contest and give feedback on any and all of it. Thanks in advance!

fiferb

Mark,

I like the set up so far. If I think of any rules I'll let you know. I think you should not post the entries until it is over. I agree with you that ideas could be borrowed or exploited from others.

DocStram

Everything looks fine to me also ... except for one suggestion. If the judges are people who have nothing to do with penturning, will they be able so see the humor that may involve humorous lies related to penturning? Know what I mean? It's just a thought. I don't mean to bog this down with just a few days until the Bash starts. I just wonder about the judges not being involved with penturning.

On the other hand, if we do find judges WHO ARE related to penturning ... how do we maintain objectivity? That's the big money question. What if we recruit three IAP members who are not going to participate in the Liars Club Contest and have them serve as judges? We could have the Liars Club entries sent to Mark ... and have Mark remove the names of the authors .. then pass the entries along to the judges?

But, seriously, I am really fine with the original plan if that what Mark and Scott decide upon.

:D

Scott

Al has a good suggestion! I found this most recently when I did the judging for the Name the Reindeer contest last week. My judges were people who barely had an idea about penturning (some, but not much), and some of the answers went right by them. Delrin was one of the winners because they liked the way it sounded, but they didn't know what it is or how we use it.

So yes, having penturners as judges would be a good idea. Maybe we could pick the judges based on who doesn't enter the contest?

Scott.

melogic

Sounds good to me! I have been thinking about this as well. Do we want to from people that do not enter, as Scott suggested, or use 3 of us from the bash planning comm.? Either way, the judges will remain annonymous. I'm game either way.

Scott

Judging from the people we have here at the Planning Forum, many of them may want to enter a LIAR'S CONTEST! [}:)] You can just wait and see who doesn't enter, and ask a few people to help judge it. I don't enter the contests, so I could be one of your judges. Just pick some likely victims and recruit them!

Scott.

melogic

Sounds good Scott. I will go ahead and pencil you in as one of the judges. Then I will see who the others will be. I may use my wife as well. She turns probably more pens than I do lately. We'll see!

Also, I have been updating the original post with the changes as we have been discussing them. So if there is anything I left out or need to change, just let me know. Thanks for everyone's input and help.

fiferb

I like using IAP members as judges. I also think the judges should not know who submitted the essay they are reading. This would prevent any subconscious favoritism on the part of the judges.

Top Bottom