Let's get the Richmond VA chapter rolling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

So here's the scoop....I was at the Richmond WC today and I was approached by several of the guys working there about a pen club. They have caught wind of it and have been approached about it by several individuals, but there's a bunch of talk and no action. Because of my involvement there and my history with some of the guys, they are looking to me to kinda get this thing happening, so that's what I'm going to do. I talked to Ray (the owner) about starting up a local chapter and he's definitely into it. :cool:

I have known Ray for a couple of years now and I'm involved in the AAW turning club that meets at the Richmond woodcraft every 3rd thursday of the month. He's willing to offer a variety of discount options for IAP members, and is willing to host the meetings there, but weekends just aren't going to work. He hosts classes there that bring in money and he can't change that. Basically, if it's going to be weekends, it's going to have to be somewhere else. Thursdays work out well b/c they keep the store open until 9pm (7pm on other days), which would allow for the most flexibility for meeting/shopping.

For those not familiar with the AAW club there called "Richmond Woodturners", they meet at 6:30pm and have things they've brought in that they share with the club about how they made it and so on and take care of regular business. After that, there's a demonstration of some new technique or whatever for the rest of the evening, until 8:30pm or so. On the nights of the club, members get a 10% discount on non-power tools.

Ray is willing to promote the IAP, host meetings, offer discounts either on the night of the meeting like the AAW club, yearly group purchase discounts, or other means of discounts. He can promote it on the website, and even in the printed flyer if enough notice is given. From talking to him, a regular thursday night of some kind is going to work out the best. My vote would be for the second thursday of the month. I told Ray I'd try to get a consensus from the IAP members here and get back to him. What we'll probably do though is look to promote a big "grand opening" if you will, where we'll promote it in the local community and try to get a bunch of interest. Maybe at the end of March or beginning of April. Ray and several other of the guys working at WC said they would be interested in it, and we could have use of the lathes for demonstrations if we needed. :good:

I have some ideas about formats and activities we could do in the IAP local club, and I'd love to try to get some things nailed down for an initial meeting. This thing is pretty much going to have to happen on a Thursday if we want to be involved with Woodcraft, and I can tell you the club needs Woodcraft's support to thrive. We can look at doing additional events for those further out of town on the weekends for sure, as we don't want to exclude anyone. :handshake:

We we really need is for some people to step up and commit to helping to get this club going. We're going to need some "officers" who can help to plan and organize it so we don't just meet and stand around talking about the weather. I'm willing to help pioneer the club start up and be the main contact at Woodcraft since I'm already familiar with the people, the building, and the other clubs going on there. So what do you say, let's get this thing rolling!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
I like it! Count me in!!

I voted for the 2nd Thursday in the poll, so I am committed to that day- and more importantly, SWMBO has OK'd the 2nd Thursday :wink:

-DD

Top Bottom