Leopard Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

I haven't been in the workshop for quite a while due to other commitments. I'm about to get back to it this week, but here is one of the last pens I made a few weeks back. It's a really attractive material called "Leopard". It's a cellulose acetate which is my favourite medium for pens (along with wood of course). It's broadly opaque but does have some nice translucency when held to the light.

This pen has 13mm triple lead threads and a bit of sterling silver to finish it off. Hexagonal profile tapering to cylindrical ends. No clip on this one. Bock no6 nib fed by c/c.

Cheers
Ash

E4D33033-A56F-4970-A06D-F385E0E7322B.jpeg1A193B03-7B42-4BC0-998F-0A787B3575AE.jpegB7ABB014-9ED3-44DF-8788-55A21988CC2B.jpegAEBE11D3-83C9-46DB-836D-B677121A9B13.jpeg96A72017-5949-4442-BAFC-F82CA7A39DD8.jpegF6C4CDE3-13B4-464D-B71E-D6112FF7C65B.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

A couple of you messaged me asking how I finish my pens.

I use the same approach for acrylic and cellulose materials.

I sand (wet) on the lathe from 320* to 800 grit.

Then buffing wheels with Tripoli, Beige and Yellow solid block compounds (they don't have a name but thats the colour they are).

The most important ingredient is time. I spend a fair while polishing the pens and I learnt how to do it by studying how jewellers (specifically silversmiths) polish items as the principle is exactly the same. There are lots of YouTube videos showing the techniques and how to dress your polishing mops etc.

I dont use micro mesh and I avoid urethane blanks (alumilite for example) as I cannot get the finish on these like I can with factory produced acrylics and acetates. It doesn't mean you cant get as good a finish but my technique isn't as successful with that material.

(*I sometimes start at 400 depending on how clean my tool work has been 😊)

Cheers
Ash

TDahl

A couple of you messaged me asking how I finish my pens.

I use the same approach for acrylic and cellulose materials.

I sand (wet) on the lathe from 320* to 800 grit.

Then buffing wheels with Tripoli, Beige and Yellow solid block compounds (they don't have a name but thats the colour they are).

The most important ingredient is time. I spend a fair while polishing the pens and I learnt how to do it by studying how jewellers (specifically silversmiths) polish items as the principle is exactly the same. There are lots of YouTube videos showing the techniques and how to dress your polishing mops etc.

I dont use micro mesh and I avoid urethane blanks (alumilite for example) as I cannot get the finish on these like I can with factory produced acrylics and acetates. It doesn't mean you cant get as good a finish but my technique isn't as successful with that material.

(*I sometimes start at 400 depending on how clean my tool work has been 😊)

Cheers
Ash
Thank you for sharing your process Ash. Your pen is a true work of art.

Top Bottom