Learning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Hey now, it was just last week that HCPENS from San Antonio told us "DrD, they are NOT mistakes! They are beautification enhancements.🤣"

Believe me, I've got advanced degrees in making and attempting to correct these things, whatever you want to call them; I threw away 3 botched blanks and 2 almost completed pens just this week alone.

DrD

howsitwork

I prefer to regards them as learning experiences and keep them to remind me ( cos with my memory together wise I make the same "experience " again next time😳🙄)

I had a bent 3/4" long reach router cutter I kept in a block above my router just to remind me not to climb mill when routing!! ! Took it to show a demonstrator I know at a routing lesson. He kept it to show students so others could SEE what happens as "seeing is believing ".

I also had. 1/4" router cutter shear on me when doing some mahogany but that did have a fault in the shaft just above the braising. of the TCT onto the shaft so I'm not counting that one as my error .

Roger Wilco

One of best pens I made was one that I thought I had killed after quite a lot of work. I wanted to see if I could do an end grain pen. I had some red oak from a pallet I busted up and I glued up a 3/4" x 3/4" blank. Then I cut the blank into a bunch of 3/4" squares. Then I turned the squares so that the end grain of each square was facing outwards and I glued those together. I was very, very careful when I turned it and STILL...just as I was nearing Sanding Time a chunk blew off the side of the pen. I thought all was lost, BUT...I found the pieces! I just used some CA and glued 'em right back onto the pen. I can't even tell where the pieces came off now! Then pen has this neat "glow" when you turn it in the light. It flashes. I gave it away before I could grab a picture, but it's currently my best work and I'm most proud of it.

Jucas85

Mistake I made yesterday. Cleaned out my CA accelerator spray pump. Forgot to flush the water from the line before using it again...

20201009_170116.jpg

Jucas85

Jucas85 trash that pump spray and try some ZipKicker accelerator. Then make other mistakes!
I'm using the MA accelerator in the spray pump. Some people said the aerosol might give problems so I tried this first. Seems like this is more problems. I ordered stick fast aerosol yesterday after dropping and spilling my spray bottle then doing that to the blank.

howsitwork

Don't cut with a razor saw whilst holding the piece because it's only a little bit to cut off . Now got a band aid on my thumb ! Lesson over for today.

Don't cut with a razor saw whilst holding the piece because it's only a little bit to cut off . Now got a band aid on my thumb ! Lesson over for today.

I hear you Ian. I was working on a knife today, taping off the cutting edge, and reached over the blade and just nicked my left index finger. I thought it would never stop bleeding. My wife put a band-aid on it and said something as she walked away, which I couldn't hear but I'm pretty sure it wasn't very nice. :eek:

Top Bottom